Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

guppies

Hi, I was just reading about guppies and it says to feed them more frequently, like 2-3x per day?

I also want to know how more about guppies, would 2 do okay in small 5 gallon aquarium? but this is for the office so fish wouldn't be fed on weekends, not sure if guppies are suitable.

I used to have gouramis, just got old aquarium started again and now liking guppies more so want to learn more about them.

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest Endler's, they are small and very colorful fish kind of similar to guppies. I would personally not put fancy guppies in a 5g. If you do I would only get 2 or 3 males, otherwise the population will explode.

As far as being able to survive weekends without being fed I think they can, but hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Guppy Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennMc View Post
Hi, I was just reading about guppies and it says to feed them more frequently, like 2-3x per day?

I also want to know how more about guppies, would 2 do okay in small 5 gallon aquarium? but this is for the office so fish wouldn't be fed on weekends, not sure if guppies are suitable.

I used to have gouramis, just got old aquarium started again and now liking guppies more so want to learn more about them.

Thanks!
Hello J...

Your tank is too small for Guppies. You might get by with having three or four males and a few plants in it, but not females. The females are already pregnant at the pet store and if the tank water is anywhere close to being clean, you'll have fry in a short time.

Putting fish in such a small cube of water is like keeping your dog or cat in a bathroom. If you want to keep Guppies, give them at least a 30 G tank with a lot of plants and weekly, large water changes. They'll reward you with many fry and an endless combination of colors.

B
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

guppies

Thanks for your replies. I have no interest in breeding so would only have a couple of males anyhow.

does anyone know anything about the feeding guppies more than 1x per day issue?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have one and usually only feed him once a day. Sometimes every other day if no one in the house remembers to feed the fish. I would think they would be fine over the weekend. Of course I will admit I do not have a huge amount of knowledge about them.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #6

Thanks!

Tags
guppie, guppies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com