Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elaine mac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've just got my first aquarium I've got 6 neon tetras I went and got some guppies today but they would only sell me all males as said someone was caught dumping them in our local river I got 6 I've put them in n don't know if their fighting or not will all males kill each other or my neons I'm very new to this or are they just getting in the pecking order to see who's alpha?

How big is your aquarium and how long has it been set up? Males will chase each other sometimes but if the tank is big enough you don't need to worry too much unless one is really getting harassed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's been set up 2 months they've calmed down now but 2 of my neons have vanished from the tank its a 60l tank

It's been set up 2 months they've calmed down now but 2 of my neons have vanished from the tank its a 60l tank

That's roughly 15 gallons, US. You might be a little overcrowded, but a good filter and regular water changes will take care of that. I'm also a little concerned that guppies are like little bulls in a china shop compared to neons, which might get stressed.

Not to be flip, but have you looked on the floor for the missing neons? I'm wondering if they didn't get startled at night by the guppies and jump out.

Guppies wont kill each other or kill the tetras. They usually go very well together. Peaceful community fish.

the tetras that disappeard might of got stuck in aquarium somewhere, or stressed out n died. they are very fragile in temperment. sometimes they will hug the bottom or someother structure, breathing fast, sometimes they dont make it when aquariums are disturbed. Just sorta "stresses them out".

You did not mention your water parameters?

Or if your tank is cycled.

Also if you happen to rinse your filter media/filter pad in untreated tap water in the sink the chlorine and chloramine will kill the BB or change it completely???
Fish can jump through the smallest of spaces, it is really unbelieveable how they could possibly aim at a little hole and get out. If there is a few mm space they can get through it. Even the gap for the HOB filter.

It is unusual but a male Guppy can harrass a guppy to death m or f. I have had a really mean male Guppy before. Seemingly no reason for it either. They usually do not bother the Tetras, but as mentioned their ziz zagging all over the place can stress a fish. Neons die a lot.

Just keep a watch on them and increase pwc schedule.

Back
Top Bottom