Guppies Aggressive Towards Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hummingbird114

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After I kept losing female guppies (they would get pregnant and die before giving birth), I decided to have just males. I was down to my last guppy, a male and I bought another male guppy, along with two male platies. Both guppies are constantly chasing one of the platies. They leave the other one alone but for whatever reason they pick on this white one (who is bigger than them).
I've had platies and guppies together before--never had this problem. If it's because there's no females in the tank, I can't get anymore fish for this 10 gallon tank. I'm sort of stuck.
Has anyone heard of this behavior in guppies? Do you think there is a possibility that this will stop when they get used to each other. I just bought the new fish yesterday? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mary

Even if it is a male, the Guppy is probably still trying to mate with it...

I have an orange Guppy that constantly chasing around the male and female Platys in my tank. I am thoroughly convinced that the Guppy thinks it is a Platy, since if another Guppy comes around, the Guppy tries hiding in the Platys. No one ever said Guppies were smart :mrgreen:

Yes, it's definitely a male. That's an interesting theory that the guppies may be trying to mate, whether the platy is a male or female. I took another look at them since receiving these responses and that's sorta what it looks like. I never would have thought of that though. Wonder why they leave the other platy alone?
Thanks.

Yes, it's definitely a male. That's an interesting theory that the guppies may be trying to mate, whether the platy is a male or female. I took another look at them since receiving these responses and that's sorta what it looks like. I never would have thought of that though. Wonder why they leave the other platy alone?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom