Guppies and fantails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inboysandvoodoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've always had goldfish and I've recently been given a number of guppies (at least that's what here and google have said they are most likely) but I feel like the females might be too big for my tank as the originally came from a massive tank. I can't return the fish to who I got them from but I've a bigger tank with 4 fan tails in it (don't ask what size as I've absolutely no idea anymore I've had it that long) and I was wondering if o could put the guppy females in with my goldfish? Have read mixed things on Google so thought I'd come here to ask.

So, the thing is it honestly depends. Fancy goldfish are usually kept at room temp, so around 70-73f, which is considered more subtropical. Guppies can be kept at these temps. I've kept my guppies like this for years.

The problems you will run in to are overstocking and the goldfish potentially eating the guppies. Goldfish create huge amounts of waste, you said you don't even know the size of your tank, so I'd say measure it and find out. Also, if they're females guppies they are most likely already pregnant, so you will have more eventually which will add to any overstocking issues. And goldfish, like any other fish, will eat what they can fit in their mouths, some people have a problem with that, some don't.

Okay so my dads measured it and we've calculated it to be about 50 gallons. My fantails Are very small as I got them as babies, I've had loads of other goldfish in this tank that's lived to ripe old age and I've a very powerful filter in it, does it make me horrible if i say I've no issue if the goldfish did eat the babies? How I see it is Its just a natural part of life, if I had a massive tank with different fish in it the babies would be eaten if not taken out or separated in some way. Thank you

If it's only fifty gallons I'd say you are pretty much stocked with just the goldfish. They get really big, and live for 15+ years with the right care. I'd say either get another tank for them, or see if you can sell/rehome them on Craigslist or something

Only fifty gallons?! It's massive! ?. First time I've own actual fan tails as I've only had what I'd call normal goldfish before. Thank you for the advice

Back
Top Bottom