guppies and plattys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have guppies and plattys but I'm worried my plattys are not getting enough food! When I put flake food in the guppies eat it off the top and when bits are floating down to the bottom the plattys go for it, they suck it into their mouth bit spit it back out as if they don't like it! I bought them a different food recommended by my local pet store but the guppies eat it before it gets to them! The only thing the platty eats is algae tablets but then they don't get much of a chance because when the guppies see the platty eating it they shove them out the way and take over eating it then my royal pleco will take the algae tablet off the guppies and plattys! Does any1 know of a good flake food that guppies and plattys eat? Please tell me the brand and where I can get it, or tell me how u manage to fees your guppies and plattys if you have both. Thanks

Sent from my Desire HD using Aquarium

Try boiling some peas, shell them n dice them up really fine they'll sink straight to the bottom where the platy's can get them then put the flakes in to occupy the guppies while the platy's eat the peas

Thanks, is there any type or brand of peas I should use or will they eat any peas?

Ill give that a try now then, thanks

Actually, peas are mainly for constipation issues. They are a natural laxative for fish. I wouldn't suggest feeding only peas. They also don't have the vitamins that your fish need that can be found in prepared foods. If your platy only eats algae wafers, then try putting 2 in the tank or getting spirulina flakes. But being that they are omnivores, something that has both plant and animal matter is best. Try the Tetra brand Tropical Crisps. It's one of the only prepared foods I use.

Back
Top Bottom