guppies and platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miran3773

Aquarium Advice Activist
All my females are pregnant, I plan to let nature take its course, there isnt any aggression in the tank will they be able to hatch in there on their own amongst the others?

Well they won't hatch but they will give livebirth and if you have adequate hiding places like java moss and such they'll survive. They are smart. I'm still finding fry from a drop over a week ago

Oops lol didnt mean hatch , so if they're not stressed now I shouldn't worry about them when they give birth? Won't get picked on or anything?

Well you never know. Do you know how many males and females you have? You should do a 1M:3F ratio

Per platy and guppy? The guppy ratio is perfect, and for the platy there is one extra male to the ratio but we plan on fixing that soon.

Oh then you'll be good. Just make sure you have lots of places for fry to hide. Java moss is probably the most common plant breeders have. I don't I have a 3 year old who wakes me up early enough around 5am to do a spot check lol

I don't think I've seen any java moss in the store that we most prefer or pet smart either, any other suggestions? We have lots of hiding spaces in/around/under the drift wood and also some plants

Hornwort? You should see if another member close to you has some for sale or see who ships java moss inside the USA. Look in the classified area of the forums and post an ad. I'm sure someone will reply :)

I don't think I've seen any java moss in the store that we most prefer or pet smart either, any other suggestions? We have lots of hiding spaces in/around/under the drift wood and also some plants
If you can't FIND Java Moss, there are private sellers on here who would be MORE than willing to sell you some for a good price. I would suggest jetajockey if you decide to get some. I like a dense plastic bush-like decoration in my tank. It was previously used for turtles. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• BushPic1.jpg
    BushPic1.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 53
  • BushPic2.jpg
    BushPic2.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 61
phoenixkiller said:
If you can't FIND Java Moss, there are private sellers on here who would be MORE than willing to sell you some for a good price. I would suggest jetajockey if you decide to get some. I like a dense plastic bush-like decoration in my tank. It was previously used for turtles. Here's a pic:

Ok thanks for the info, ill keep it in mind while I check out some plants

Try and find a private Canadian seller as stuff coming from the USA tends to get stuck with customs. Trust me I found out with my frog bit :mad:

I highly recommend live mossy plants. The fry will hide out in the moss eating the micro nutrients, as well as whatever fry food you offer. The fry will come out of the moss when they feel they are large enough to not get eaten.

I love the "let nature take its course" method. I have no stress of breeding nets, grow out tanks, etc. and the fish seem to prefer it, too.

phoenixkiller said:
Oh yeah, you aren't allowed to bring plants from different countries over there. That's gonna be a problem for ya.

Where there is a will, there is a way

phoenixkiller said:
Oh yeah, you aren't allowed to bring plants from different countries over there. That's gonna be a problem for ya.

There are lots of sellers here, just gotta keep my eyes open

LyndaB said:
I highly recommend live mossy plants. The fry will hide out in the moss eating the micro nutrients, as well as whatever fry food you offer. The fry will come out of the moss when they feel they are large enough to not get eaten.

I love the "let nature take its course" method. I have no stress of breeding nets, grow out tanks, etc. and the fish seem to prefer it, too.

I have them same feel, the strong ones will survive and the others have their fate as well. Maybe if I make a "jungle" of hornwart? Will that work? I really only like going to one place, I haven't had a problem with them yet

Back
Top Bottom