Guppies being eaten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
So on tuesday I picked up two female guppies to make my ratio 1:3. I come home today from work and I find my ratio down 1:2. I don't know why I lost the one female as she seemed healthy as heck last night at lights out. Any one else ever experience this habit? I got more females and it seems that I always lose 1 or 2 within the first week. I'm puzzled

This is my 55 so I have two Bolivian rams, 2 rosy barbs, 3 guppies now 1:2, 3 rummy nose tetras, 4 yo yo loaches, 1 BN pleco and 8 platy's. I've had no issues until I added two females on tuesday

Huh. None of those fish seem to show history of a taste for guppy. However, I've only been in the hobby for 7 years so you should probably wait for a more knowledgable aquarist. ;)

All I found today was part if the skull after my snails got a hold of the body. I'm wondering if it's the guppies being territorial or just being temperamental as one is gravid. But I couldn't see that as my larger female guppy is a sweetheart and she's been around platys while gravid.

Well I have heard of Plecos sucking the slime coat off of fish and maybe that could possibly kill one? Just a guess or maybe it could be your rams?? I'm stumped...

Pleco is very small and only get defensive when I feed algae wafers. My rams have shown no hostility towards my other guppies or all of my platy and platy juveniles. I'm thinking it was the large female just being dominant. My rams only chase each other and that's only during feeding time once in awhile.

It's just a standard aqueon 55 ATM but I mean it can't b that bad as I put juvenile platy fry in that tank once they are big enough to not get eaten. and that guppy that died showed no signs of struggling in the water flow. It was quite active and colorful

Rams might attack a pesky guppy. Plecos are territorial so that's another suspect. Rosy barbs can be bullies.

One other option is that they had issues transitioning to the new tank. Did you QT these fish at all? The male could be pestering the new additions. It's just a bunch of guesses at this point.

The male guppy hasn't even looked at them, he's been chasing my platy females. The barbs aren't harassing them. Nor is the pleco. I thinking just didnt take to the tank well.the other female doesn't move much at all so I'm thinking it's just bad stock at this point. I'll try feeding some bloodworms to see if she reacts. If not it's depressing but so is life at times. And no I don't have a qt tank but I did acclimate them for an hour

Back
Top Bottom