Guppies, I think.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baileystar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought some fish at a pet store and I were told they were very young guppies. I have had them for a few months and they haven't grown or got any colour at all. I was reading that guppies typically start gain colour at 1-2 months old. Any ideas what these could be because I'm not convinced that they are actually guppies. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400628175.076130.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400628276.508916.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400628371.550344.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400628400.066990.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400628490.519337.jpg
Sorry for the bad pics. They move around a lot.

Yep, they are guppies. It's likely you got females as the females are usually completely grey in color with some having a splash of color on their tails.

I think they are female guppies. Do you know how to tell males from females? If you have a male a close up pic would be pretty easy to tell the difference

What are mosquito fish? Is there anything they do I should be watching or do they just kind of swim around and ignore the other fish? To Wiggles24-I don't know how to tell the difference between male and females.

Nope! Mosquito fish are very much like guppies and can be cared for the same way you would any other fish. They're not aggressive and do well in groups. You can google pictures of them online. You definitely don't have guppies!

Mosquite fish:
lg-89572-mosq-fish-22240.jpg

Female Guppy:
female_guppy_anatomy_by_veronicarosejones-d5uj96c.jpg

Check the dorsal and caudal fins. If there is a row of black spots then they are mosquito fish. If there isn't then they are guppies.

Mebbid, female mosquito fish also look identical to female guppies. There is very little difference between them but all of his fish have the mosquito fish markings

What are mosquito fish? Is there anything they do I should be watching or do they just kind of swim around and ignore the other fish? To Wiggles24-I don't know how to tell the difference between male and females.

Mosquito fish are quite adaptable and this has aided with their introduction into many areas for ...as you might guess, mosquito control. However, despite the benefits they are also non-selective feeders preying on pretty much anything can catch, including native invertebrates and fish (eggs, fry). I've had them in a small pond for the last few years and they have survived Virginia winters except for the last one which was brutal (several days to weeks at a time under ice). Well, at least one has survived. Will be getting more from a local nursery this weekend.
Like other livebearers such as swordtails, platties, and mollies, females are generally larger, more fuller bodied and have a triangular, fan shaped anal fin (single fin on bottom past the "belly" and before the tail). Males have a "pointy" anal fin called a gonapodium which is used for fertilizing the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom