Guppies in hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I moved 3 male guppys and 2 platys from my 40gal to my 29gal and the platys seem to be doing just fine, well one of is them at least. However, my 3 guppies are hiding behind the filter... er, behind the current thingy of my filter. The other platy is chilling out in the plants. Should I be worried? Or are they just adjusting? I put them in bags and let them adjust to the water temp and all of that like im supposed to. The only differences between the two tanks is this one is brighter and warmer than their old one. Any ideas?

Fish need to adjust to the environment as well as the water. If the fish are new to the tank, give them a few days to feel comfortable. One thing I have found that really helps the transitions is adding the fish to the new tank during the night with all the tank lights and larger room light off. When the sun comes up in the morning, they slowly start seeing their new home :)

Definitely keep an eye for signs of illness as well, the stress of a tank switch can cause trouble.

When I added guppies to my 55 gallon, they spent the first two day skimming right at the surface--I thought I'd never be able to see them swim. By the third day, however, they were swimming around as though they owned the tank. Which they do.

I think yours will probably come around soon.....hope so.

Guppies certainly do have a lot of personality once they are established in a tank :) My males swim around like there are no other fish in the tank even though they are the smallest fish in there. In one highly amusing incident, a male kept swimming in and out of my Pleco cave until the Pleco gave up and left to hide somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom