Guppies- is this normal? #newbiealert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueberries

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I brought home four guppies tonight and love them already! I was told I have two females and two males. I let them adjust to my tank temp for 30 minutes and then gradually adding my tank water to the bag. A little of the water from the bag got into my tank- I saw someone post that pet store water added to you tank was not good - it was only a little bit tho. Initially the guppies stayed close to the top of the water and I googled and saw it was stress or lack of oxygen in the water. I add my airstone in the tank and the still stayed in that area close to the bottom. Around 30 minutes they started to swim around one male more so than the others(he was just doing laps around the tank). Now 5 hours later they are hanging out directly under the filter. Is this normal? Are they getting used to the tank?

Ps if you haven’t guessed I’ve never had guppies before ?

I brought home four guppies tonight and love them already! I was told I have two females and two males. I let them adjust to my tank temp for 30 minutes and then gradually adding my tank water to the bag. A little of the water from the bag got into my tank- I saw someone post that pet store water added to you tank was not good - it was only a little bit tho. Initially the guppies stayed close to the top of the water and I googled and saw it was stress or lack of oxygen in the water. I add my airstone in the tank and the still stayed in that area close to the bottom. Around 30 minutes they started to swim around one male more so than the others(he was just doing laps around the tank). Now 5 hours later they are hanging out directly under the filter. Is this normal? Are they getting used to the tank?

Ps if you haven’t guessed I’ve never had guppies before

Hi Blueberries

In spite of guppies commonly being regarded as a "hardy" fish, in my experience, the fancy ones certainly are not. Its advised that the pet store water is not added to you tank as its parameters may be vastly different to your own (PH, GH, Nitrates, Nitrites etc). How did you cycle your tank, I assume if you've only added fish you did a fishless cycle?

Have you been testing your water levels?

If they are hanging around the filter, that would lead me to believe something is off with your levels. Of course, there are so many variables but the fact they are all crowded round the same spot indicates an issue with water quality perhaps.

Monitor it over the next few days. It could of course be them acclimatising to their new surroundings.

I haven’t had a chance to check my water yet this week but normally the water is fine. It’s been I think over 3 mos and it has a betta and 2 frogs in the tank. They are swimming around now they seem to hangout together in the plants now :)

Back
Top Bottom