Guppies keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 40 gallon I have a ram, 2 platy, 8 danios, 3 cories and 6 neons and I've had 3 guppies. All of them died less then a week I put them in. Why? I don't know any fish in it that would bully them and al the others are fine

Well let's start with the usual questions,
How long has the tank been set up?
What are your water levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph)
What is your water schedule like?
How did you acclimate the fish in the tank after purchasing them?

Well let's start with the usual questions,
How long has the tank been set up?
What are your water levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph)
What is your water schedule like?
How did you acclimate the fish in the tank after purchasing them?

Tanks been up for nearly two months

Ammonia/Nitrite is 0 don't have a tester for nitrate but the other fish seem fine

I change the water a few times a week as of now since I am in the process of completing my tank stocking and I want to keep the ammonia as low as possible to avoid a spike.

I always float them in a bag for about twenty minutes before I put them in the tank. I do this with all fish and it has worked quite well. There has been one ick outbreak but this was towards the beginning of the cycle and I had cured it long before I added the guppies

They probably had a disease, I would try and diagnose it. If your other fish do anything weird, let us know!

Did you get the fish from the same source each time? It might just be bad stock.

Also floating the bag just acclimates the fish to water temperature, but not anything else like nitrate, PH, etc. Drip acclimation is a good way to acclimate them or, barring that, float the bag and every 15 minutes or so add a small amount of your tank water to the bag. Do this until the volume in the bag doubles, then remove half the water (don't put it into your tank) and repeat the process again, then net the fish. This acclimates them more slowly to all of your water values.

Back
Top Bottom