Guppies- Need help reducing KH in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meganz123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm not sure if this is in the right spot or not. Any who, I have a 10 gal tank and two guppies. All nitrite nitrate pH and GH levels are about where they should be for guppies as well as the tank's temperature. On the other hand, my KH is almost 240 when it should be about 20!! I have tried distilled water, adding live plants, etc. I make minimum wage and spend money at the fish store atleast twice a week so I would not like to buy any filters of any sort. Any suggestions? I haven't been adding supplements to my water because it threw all of my levels out of whack. I used to add stress coat and aquarium salt but now only use one dose of salt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated seeing that I've been trying to get the tank right for months now :banghead:

No need for the salt unless you are treating something. I wouldn't worry about a high KH. It isn't really going to affect the fish much, but it will hold your ph stable. Changing it could cause a big ph swing which could kill the fish. If the fish are healthy and they have been living in the high KH water for a while, just leave it be. Stability is more important than "correct" levels.

Back
Top Bottom