Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Guppies with tattered fins from cichlid juveniles?

I recently got some juvenile cichlids from a family member who's cichlids spawned I put them in my 36 gallon guppy tank to grow them out a bit before I move them into my cichlid tank but in the last week almost all my guppies now have tattered tail fins I have not seen any of the cichlids attacking the guppies but they are the only new fish in the tank and the tattered guppy fins started when I introduced them into the tank so im guessing rhey are the cause the cichlid juveniles are about 1.5 to 2 inches in size would they be ok to move them into my cichlid tank with larger ones it's a mbuna tank if that makes any difference and is there anything I can do to help my guppies heal and recover there tattered tail fins a few of them have pretty big chunks missing

Old 05-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Not a cichlid person, so cant give anything there.

Separate the fish. Clean water and a stress free environment will give your guppies chance to recover. Something like melafix will help with stopping any infections set in.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I already removed the cichlid juvies and put them in my larger tank so far it seems the larger ones are leaving them alone and I did a 40 percent water change right after I removed them from the guppy tank and added some stress guard I'll have to get some medicine today or tomorrow then for my guppies
Old 05-23-2022, 01:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It's a bit risky to keep cichlids with guppies. What kind of cichlids are they? Depending on what they are they could just straight up decide they want to eat your guppies lol. And aggression is of course always an issue so I would prefer to keep cichlids with other fish that can stick up for themselves rather than small peaceful ones who yes they can get along with but may end up beaten up or eaten.

I see now you separated them so that's good.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

cichlids is a genus; some species are more likely to nip at guppies than others; even as juvi.

Tags
cichlid, fin, fins, guppie, guppies, ich, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com