Guppy babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Tuttle

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had guppies for a month now, and I'm on my second wave of fry. Five or six of the original batch are doing well (16 days old), and I counted 11 from this one.

I knew guppies would overrun my tank, but I'm shocked at how quickly they are and at how little my two adult female platties bother the fry.

Is it cruel to be thinking about adding a German ram or something bigger to reduce the future guppy population (I'd be giving these guppies to the LFS, all of the fry). I can raise the fry to adulthood, I'd guess, but this is doing a lot of addition to my bioload, and I'm not that long into this tank yet.

I knew getting in that I'd get fry from guppies; I'm just surprised at the incredibly short gestation period and the survival rate of the fry. When I had had fry as a youngster (from neons, I think), my male swordtail made short work of them.

Is the "get a bigger fish" route unethical? Getting another tank seems like a short term fix (i.e., that would seem necessary every 30 days until my house was more water than air).

Actually I was thinking about doing the same thing. I just had babies yesterday and it looks like none of them are getting eatin. I think getting a fish like that to eat them would be ok but make it fair. Give the babies places to hide. I have java moss. hopefully you will have a few smart ones that will live and when you do get too many donate them.

Adding predator fish to an aquarium with live bearers is common solution to prolific nature of live bearers. It's really a personal decision as to whether or not you feel comfortable adding fish that will eat the fry.

Does a ram qualify?

With ten neons, 2 platties, 3 adult guppies, an apple snail, and room for two otos, would a ram be too much for my tank?

What sort of fish does one typically use in this circumstance?

I mean, if I get a larger fish here and the fish doesn't eat the fry, I'm worse off than I am now. And to be honest, the platties somewhat represent this already.

I do have hard water as well. I know the rams are in similar water in the LFS, but still, I'm thinking this is a more fragile species than neons for being in different water.

I'd assume a gourami wouldn't do the job of controlling the fry population, and I wonder if a single male swordtail would. Again, the swordtail--like the platties--might just drive up my bioload without being much of an impact on the guppies.

Last edited:
How big is your tank? That will help in figuring out what other fish you could add. I have platies in a tank with a variety of tetras, an SAE, formerly a pearl gourami and now a small angelfish and none of the babies have made it so far. Not sure who was the culprit but all of my fish will go after anything that moves and remotely looks like food.

GBRs are notoriously sensitive fish, if you have room for anything, a Bolivian ram might be a more sturdy choice. A pair of Apistos would do well also, but need to know your tank size first.

It's a 21 g.

I'm thinking that's the problem with a GBR--if I'm worried about bioload,that's not the best choice for an addition, especially if it doesn't clear fry.

I'm likely going to try to give these to a LFS--the fry that is, and still consider my options open for a 2-3" fish to give the fry a lower survival rate.

I've not seen a Bolivian Ram in town, or else I think I'd have my answer.

Have you considered not keeping the guppies, or only keeping the males or females? Just suggesting it, while you may be able to bring in some baby guppies once or twice, most LFSs probably won't accept a steady supply of them, unless you market them as fish food for their bigger fish.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a fish that would be happy in a 21g that will definitely eat fry....

what other fish are in with the gups already? oh and if im not mistaken the adult guppies will eat their fry after they are born so just leave the fry in with the adults if you have alot of hiding places a couple fry will survive anyway but most will be eaten.

Back
Top Bottom