guppy babies... maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have 3 guppies in my 10 gallon. 1 male, 2 female. one of the females (the larger of the two) has started acting strange. she just "lays" on the substrate. she rarely moves unless provoked by someone walking up and looking in the tank, in which case she swims to some cover. my male has also started exhibiting brighter colors and seems to be now favoring this female over the other.
i just moved them from a 5 to a 10 gallon a couple days ago, and at first i just thought the behavior was due to the move, but now i'm wondering if she may be prego?!?! is this typical expecting guppy behavior? if so, what can i expect in the coming days?

If her belly was quite large and squared off, then she might be getting ready to drop. They will tend to separate themselves from the rest in order to give birth.

I would watch her closely to see if that is it.

and dont forget to seperate the male pups from the female pups, or you end up with a thousand ugly feeder guppies, if they breed before they fully mature

hc8719 said:
and dont forget to seperate the male pups from the female pups, or you end up with a thousand ugly feeder guppies, if they breed before they fully mature

Kind of curious, at what point do they mature enough that you can sex them? I've got about half a dozen fry of my own that I'm worried about.

Back
Top Bottom