guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my guppy gave birth about 4 weeks ago in a breeding box but the fry got out into the main tank.There are six fry and are doing just fine in the main tank:)none of the other fish bother them.They are getting bigger by the day.:D I am just wondering doues anyone know how long it takes for them to be fully grown and showing some colour?(i also have a second guppy that is pregnant)

Congratulations on the guppy fry. I'd expect that mother to be giving birth in another week or two as guppies are very prolific. You may start to see some color in 3-4 weeks. I'm pretty sure that they can start breeding when they are only 3 months old, at which point the males would have some color for sure.

thanks! the guppy that is pregnant now looks ready to explode:D

yeah for the fry to develop colour and start breeding it depends on a few factors in your tank, however the most important is temperature. The warmer it is the faster the metabolism works, the more they can eat, the faster they grow. The fastest I have seen in my tank is about 2 and half months for full colour and about 3/4 full size, feeding twice a day and temperature at 79F. Careful though because you guppy population will rise exponentially as you get more and more breeding adults.

new fry

my guppy that was pregnant that i mentioned in the first message has just had her babies but they seem extra tiny.i have had to seperate the new mom in a breeding box for a while as she started going for babies i already had probably thinking they are hers:( anybody got any suggestions on what i could do???????:confused:

Back
Top Bottom