Guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my girl finally had her babies she was huge! I woke up to find some swimming about and thought well since all of the other fry from the last few batches got eaten I'd safe these ones. I feel like watching them grow up again and my son will enjoy watching the babies grow as well. So into the breeder box went four little fry, I took a look at mum and she still looked pregas she was still in the process of giving birth. I managed to catch them as I saw them hanging around the top of the tank. The female live bearers sure do have a hard time, she's trying to give birth and the males are trying to make more babies before she's even had them! As a mother i was like jeez I wanna just punch those males in the face lol poor girl.
I've had guppy,Molly and Platy fry before but never actually witnessed the birth. I am so excited to say I got to see it first hand today it's quite amazing to watch actually, how they come out it a tiny little ball then spring out and quickly swim for cover. The miracle of life is truly incredible and wonderful no matter what creature it is :) after that there was no way after seeing that, that I could leave any that I saw in the tank to become a quick meal for my little scarlet badis and sparking gourami that make sure they leave no remaining 'snack' swimming!
I managed to catch about 11 so far and see the little ones that still had their yolk sack still attached which I'd never seen first hand before either.
I know I'm rambling about guppy fry but it was an awesome experience for me anyway that I wanted to share :)

image-1015208541.jpg

image-1984852783.jpg

image-2624862566.jpg

image-3006496630.jpg

Pics of the babies and mumma hanging about the back of the breeder trap. I'd like to think she's admiring her bubbas but she's probably thinking they look rather tasty!

Attachments

• image-2315717096.jpg
    image-2315717096.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 68
Is is fun to raise them, and watching the birth is so cool.

I also found my mommas were hungry while giving birth so I would feed them tiny amounts if they were eating.

I used to save my babies. But then I have up. They have way too many and I've given away about 40 and I'm still overrun with Platies

Is is fun to raise them, and watching the birth is so cool.

I also found my mommas were hungry while giving birth so I would feed them tiny amounts if they were eating.

Lucky I fed them just before I noticed she was having the babies so she did eat a little :)

I used to save my babies. But then I have up. They have way too many and I've given away about 40 and I'm still overrun with Platies

Yeah im not going to be saving every batch that's for sure but there's no chance of mr being over run with my other hungry Fish that keep eating them all in the tank. I have platy fry in my other tank that came from my two females I got already pregnant ,they've finally stopped having fry so as soon as the fry are old enough to sex I'm going to separate the sexes.

I moved the fry into a net fry saver this morning from the plastic breeder box. Just because if the circulation and clean water constantly flowing through. I also got them some sera first bites powdered food as they didn't really like the finely crushed up flakes it seemed. They seemed to enjoy this food a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom