Guppy Gender Change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm no expert, but I don't believe that's possible (for either gender). I have a species-only female guppy tank and a community tank where the only guppies are males. You'd think that if they could change gender, they would have in either of those tanks.

In the thread, someone had personally experienced it. I can try doing research online on my own.

I found my own answer. Females can when no males are present, but males can't. It has something to do with hormones.

I wonder if it is only possible for young guppies. My females did have males around when they were young - just not anymore.

How old were the guppies being discussed? I have heard about young females suddenly being male (which actually meant they were always male, just late bloomers). I have had that happen before. I have never heard of old females changing genders though. I doubt that is possible.

How old were the guppies being discussed? I have heard about young females suddenly being male (which actually meant they were always male, just late bloomers). I have had that happen before. I have never heard of old females changing genders though. I doubt that is possible.

That makes a lot of sense.

I have first hand experience of what I thought was a female guppy delvelop his man bits overnight! Def a late developer lmao :D

I have first hand experience of what I thought was a female guppy delvelop his man bits overnight! Def a late developer lmao :D
Me too. I had a female baby suddenly overnight be a boy. I still assume its just a late bloomer, but it was a little bazaar. And he is still alive and still a boy.

I agree, I've seen a lot of threads about this topic. It has to be some "late bloomers". Now if we were talking males changing to females I would be perplexed!

I haven't heard of it happening with other livebearers either (other than in the capacity that we mentioned). Did you find info about that? If you see anything, feel free to link it to the thread so we can see it. :)

Back
Top Bottom