Guppy nipping help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikfab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I'm new to this site and to fish tanks in general. I've done a lot of research but I'm dealing with an issue that I can't seem to find an answer to. My husband and I originally were given a 6 gallon tank and we put 4 male guppies in it. We quickly realized this wasn't quite enough space as one guppy in particular was definitely getting nipped on his tail. We have since upgraded to a 36 gallon, added 8 females, and lots of plants/decorations for hiding places. However, my male guppy stays at the bottom and has since lost his full tail. It doesn't appear to be fin rot. I'm not sure what to do at this point to help him. Can anyone give me some advice to help him heal?

Welcome; sorry you’re having issues with your guppy. It sure sounds like fun rot; why do you think it isn’t?

What are your water parameters?

Thank you so much for replying! I am new to this so I could be wrong and it may be fin rot. There's no discoloration and it's only effecting his tail. I have made a change today based on some more research I've done. I have gotten him a tank basket (not sure what it's called) but it's a net that he can stay him that isolates him while still keeping him in the tank. I did that so I could feed him and keep the other guppies from hurting him while he heals. My concern with him staying at the bottom of the tank was that he wasn't getting food. He ate this evening, which was great. We got some brine shrimp as well. We also treated the tank with melafix in case it is fin rot. Am I doing this right? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

Oh and my water is reading normal. No nitrates or nitrites. pH is about 7.2. No ammonia. Everything is reading good. I actually just checked again this evening.

Fin rot is usually a secondary effect of injury being exacerbated by less than ideal water or continuing injury.

Are you using a liquid test kit? You want to be sure there is no ammonia/ nitrite around. I’m a bit concerned by the 0 nitrate. Are you familiar with cycling and are you certain that your tank is in fact cycled?

The net is probably a good idea if it’s helping him to eat and keeping his tankmates from bugging him.

A picture might help so we can see what the damage actually looks like.

Most often with fin rot the best medicine is pristine water and giving them time and peace to heal. In the last few days has it (and the fish behavior) gotten better / worse or been unchanged.

Sometimes this unfortunately happens. The best solution would honestly to be to remove the aggressive male if possible. Usually there is a dominant fish that is semi aggressive time to time to display his dominance. I had TONS of problems with aggression. If you have a bully, spare yourself the headache and get rid of him. Replace him with a female if you want a larger school.

Thank you all for your advice! Sorry for the delay. My guppy ended up passing away and I rehomed the aggressive guppy. Now I have 6 females and 1 male and they are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom