Guppy novice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdok

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ould it be a bad idea to buy guppies if i wasn't interested in fry? Ive been reading a few things and it seems that they reproduce like crazy?!

You can get all males or all females, and you won't need to worry about fry. :)

okapizebra said:
You can get all males or all females, and you won't need to worry about fry. :)

Omg cannot believe i didnt think of this , feel like a numpty , i did just have a thought though, would this stress them or change there characters (e.g fin nipping or shyness) because there is none of the opposite sex?

I would suggest all males as some females come already pregnant and can have more than one batch of fry from a single mating....

Niki said:
I would suggest all males as some females come already pregnant and can have more than one batch of fry from a single mating....

Okay thank you, will there be any conflict between these males?

fishdok said:
Okay thank you, will there be any conflict between these males?

I'd be interested to hear what others may say, but in my limited experience with male guppies is that they do tend to nip at each other. I don't know if having more guppies helps spread it around more, but when we've had three or four they do pester each other. When I added females they just pester them instead. Maybe the males are just pest-y?

The males will relentlessly pester the females so they can get their groove on. If you don't want to breed fry, just get all males, the more the better that way if they are nippy it won't be singling out just one guppy

Back
Top Bottom