Guppy replacement top swimmers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
For a long time I've had guppies as my top swimmers for my 20 gal, however, every one I've ever had gets fin rot or some other strange disease and dies. I'm ready to try something different. My tank is a planted 20 gallon freshwater with one golden gourami, six neon tetras, and three Cory catfish. So what would be some good top swimmers for this tank?

Endlers Livebearers, there's the pure type and tons of hybrids. They often have large amounts of wild blood and aren't too inbred making them beautiful like Guppies but much hardier.

Endlers Livebearers, there's the pure type and tons of hybrids. They often have large amounts of wild blood and aren't too inbred making them beautiful like Guppies but much hardier.

Are they sold at PetSmart and/or PetCo?

Hatchet fish

+1 forgot about those

+1, IF you have a lid. These guys are very cool, but they are designed to jump. They are actually tbe only fish that flies by flapping their fins/wings (flying fish just jump and glide). Ive read thatin the wild they jump and fly through swarms of gnats with their mouthes open.
Conclusion: these guys are cool, and deffinently need a lid

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1, IF you have a lid. These guys are very cool, but they are designed to jump. They are actually tbe only fish that flies by flapping their fins/wings (flying fish just jump and glide). Ive read thatin the wild they jump and fly through swarms of gnats with their mouthes open.
Conclusion: these guys are cool, and deffinently need a lid

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1. My friend's mom came home one day short a hatchet fish... Couldn't find it on the floor around the tank so she assumed it had died and been eaten. She finally realized after a couple days that it had gotten stuck on the wall when it jumped out and had since become all dried and crispy there :nono:

So if you do lose one, don't forget to check the walls as well as the floor!

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'll see what's available next time I go to the pet store.

Back
Top Bottom