Guppy requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sieski

Aquarium Advice Freak
Kids are driving me crazy for a tank in their rooms. I will soon have a few guppies to spare as I have 3 pregnant guppies. I was wondering what was the minimum requirements as in tank size for them. Only looking to house maybe 5 guppies per tank (females all in one! lol)

Thanks

10g minimum, I breed em and 10g is almost too small for 6 females, I believe a 20h is on the same 10g footprint, then you could get more and have more space, the problem is the decor in the 5-10g size makes it a cramped environment.

A 5g is a good baby grow out tank though.

How are you going to cycle their tanks?

10g minimum, I breed em and 10g is almost too small for 6 females, I believe a 20h is on the same 10g footprint, then you could get more and have more space, the problem is the decor in the 5-10g size makes it a cramped environment.

A 5g is a good baby grow out tank though.

20 XH is the same footprint (20x10x20)
20H is 24x12x16
20L is 30x12x12

the general rule for freshwater is 1 inch of adult fish per 1 gallon ot tank space. This rule applies mainly as a waste to water ratio.

Be careful adding 5 fish to a brand new aquarium. Perhaps use a gallon or two of water from the already established aquarium. Also beneficial bacteria supplement from a store will help prevent fish loss. I reccommend taking both precautions!

You may still experience "New Tank Syndrome" which is a bacteria bloom that causes the water to appear murky. DO NOT DO A WATER CHANGE, as this will make problem worse. Leave the tank alone and the bacteria will settle in about a weeks time.

the general rule for freshwater is 1 inch of adult fish per 1 gallon ot tank space. This rule applies mainly as a waste to water ratio.
The inch per gallon guideline is pretty worthless IMO. I'd never recommend using it.

Be careful adding 5 fish to a brand new aquarium. Perhaps use a gallon or two of water from the already established aquarium. Also beneficial bacteria supplement from a store will help prevent fish loss. I reccommend taking both precautions!
The majority of the beneficial bacteria are not found in the water column, but rather on surfaces in the tank such as filter media, substrate, decor, etc. It would be much more helpful to start with a filter pad or a handful of gravel rather than dirty water.

You may still experience "New Tank Syndrome" which is a bacteria bloom that causes the water to appear murky. DO NOT DO A WATER CHANGE, as this will make problem worse. Leave the tank alone and the bacteria will settle in about a weeks time.
New tank syndrome actually doesn't refer to a bacteria bloom, but rather to a tank that is new and is going through the cycling process. In a cycling tank, leaving it alone is the worst thing one can do. Cycling with fish requires large, frequent water changes in order for the fish to (hopefully) survive. Established filter media, gravel, etc. will greatly shorten this process.

Comments in green.

Using the fishless method mentioned on this site.

I was only gonna add 1-2 fish per 7-9 days.

The guppies I have that have bred are fully grown and are at the most 1inch 1&1/4 inches.

And I have some bottled bacteria I was also gonna rinse the new filter media in the water I used to clean the filter out my established tank.

i 2nd this.

also the thing with females is even with them alone they will still spawn for a little while. they are able to hold sperm for a couple batches.

Yeah I understand that but I got a good line of moving them on for a while

Thanks for the advice every one

Back
Top Bottom