guppys dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SH4N

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello i have a 40 gal with guppies, neon tetras and cherry shrimp, the tank has been running for nearly a year but the past 2 months ive been having trouble keeping my guppies alive. ive checked my ph, its ok, and nitrate/nitrite/ammonia is nil.

the thing is its only female guppies that die. i thought it was because i had to many males (at the time i had 5 males 6 females) so i bought 5 more females making it 11. but 1 has died again tonight and was heavily pregnant. im not to sure what to do i do regular water changes every 2nd week.. any ideas??

i havent had guppies in a while but i believe the ratio is one male 4-5 females, confirmation on this would be nice though.

Guppy Problem

Good morning SH...

You could have a bacteria that's affecting the fish. The best thing to do is to get the water super clean by doing a 50 percent water change every couple of days for 10 days. I would also recommend raising the temperature on your heater a few degrees for a few days. If you have a bacteria problem, an aggressive water change schedule and raising the water temperature will help.

I have several large tanks of Fancy Guppies and I include a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt in every five gallons of my water change water. Years ago, I was encouraged by an experienced "water keeper" to add a little salt to my tanks. In short, he said it would stimulate the fishes' immune system. I've always done this and have never had a disease in any of my tanks.

Hope this helps.

B

kurtyboh said:
i havent had guppies in a while but i believe the ratio is one male 4-5 females, confirmation on this would be nice though.

The ratio is one male to three females.

Recently, many species like neon tetras, guppies, and dwarf gouramis have been unhealthy. There has been so much inbreeding that some fish are just so sensative that they are difficult to keep alive.

adadkins1 said:
Recently, many species like neon tetras, guppies, and dwarf gouramis have been unhealthy. There has been so much inbreeding that some fish are just so sensative that they are difficult to keep alive.

Also some rams, such as german blues.

yeah its so sad all the inbreeding etc people do these days. another one died today. every fish does like very healthy, and its only females that are dying, i think maybe they are stressed from all the males maybe? I will put some males in my other tank and see how it goes. thanks for all the replies

hello i have a 40 gal with guppies, neon tetras and cherry shrimp, the tank has been running for nearly a year but the past 2 months ive been having trouble keeping my guppies alive. ive checked my ph, its ok, and nitrate/nitrite/ammonia is nil.

the thing is its only female guppies that die. i thought it was because i had to many males (at the time i had 5 males 6 females) so i bought 5 more females making it 11. but 1 has died again tonight and was heavily pregnant. im not to sure what to do i do regular water changes every 2nd week.. any ideas??

Good morning SH...

Once you get the water very clean and heat the tank, 80 to 82 degrees should be enough, for a few days. You could consider adding a few more female Guppies. In my tanks, there are probably three to four females for every male.

Guppies also need a lot of plants in the tank. I like to float Water sprite at the top and have mosses growing on the bottom. This gives the females and little ones places to hide to avoid being bothered by the males.

Hope this informtion helps and please let me know how things go for you. Attached are a couple of old pics of a couple of my tanks. As you can see, there are a lot of hiding places for the fish.

B

your tanks really beautiful. i dont want to add to much more as i dont want to over stock (had to take on a heap of my sisters neon tetras as she moved house). but i will focus on cleaning the tank and getting that all done first. thanks for the help!

Good morning SH...

Once you get the water very clean and heat the tank, 80 to 82 degrees should be enough, for a few days. You could consider adding a few more female Guppies. In my tanks, there are probably three to four females for every male.

Guppies also need a lot of plants in the tank. I like to float Water sprite at the top and have mosses growing on the bottom. This gives the females and little ones places to hide to avoid being bothered by the males.

Hope this informtion helps and please let me know how things go for you. Attached are a couple of old pics of a couple of my tanks. As you can see, there are a lot of hiding places for the fish.

B

nice tank how big is it????

Back
Top Bottom