guppys harrasing my platy help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i got two male guppys and a male lyretail molly to go in my sons 50litre, with the 2 female platy and 4 panda cory. Anyway the guppy have been harrasing the platy. Is this because they are male and the platys are girls? Ok scrap that it must be because i just saw them trying to mate with them eeep poor girls! What should i do? Will they give up after a while i only got them today but the girls are stressed out by them. Oh and mollys guppys and platy cant hybridise can they? Thats just swords and platys right?

Your problem is tank size. You really need a 29
Also male Gups will mate with anything

I cant get another at the moment what should i do :/ maybe I'll see if my cousin can have the guppys. And get something suitable

Try to return them. Not only will they harass the females, but you are going to end up with a mini cycle by adding too many fish at once. Even though your tank tests fine, it is still new and the BB needs to catch up.

I would say to get rid of the guppy and molly.

The molly really needs a bigger tank. Lyretails get to be something like 5 inches, they also have a larger bioload. I think the min is 20 or 30 for them.

Honestly I think the 2 platy with the cories in a 13 gallon is fully stocking your tank as it is and doesn't leave room for the guppy.

I used to have a lyretail molly. I gave him to a freind with a 30 gal tank. He is now somewhere around 7 inches and in a freind of a freind's LARGE tank

Ok my cousins tank is larger about 50g ill give them to her bigs oops i should have known better than to ask at the shop :/ i was thinking of putting one of the male guppy in my tank would he be ok with the hengels,neons, scarlet badis pair and shrimp?

I put one male in my tank and ill see how he goes hes so pretty a neon green snakeskin type. If it works in my tank and we can keep him that would be great. Ill get an extra sponge filter if needed.

The molly and other guppy are going to my cousin this morning so i hope that fixes my big boo boo :) if i get a third platy instead for the 13gal and leave it at that would that be pushing it?

Back
Top Bottom