guys need some HELP with new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
angel11o said:
hi, i took the test and i think im on the right track, i used a filter that been used before from other tanks so i think there's still good bacteria in it,

so far what confuses me is that my pleco died last night and i dont know what happen after few weeks im just guessing that he cant find any algae thats why, but the rest of the fish are doing okay

If I may ask, what are you using to test your ammonia / nitrIte / nitrAte levels? Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. What you are hopefully using is the API Freshwater Liquid Test Kit or a similar liquid test kit.

If you aren't using a liquid test kit, you need to go out and buy one. Your LFS or pet chain stores should have them, or you can buy it online.

hmmmm i only have those drops that u can test, that's the guy gave me to test those things, they've been in my tank for a month now i think,

what do i have to ask the lfs for the liquid? any brand in particular

<----- so stupidada 

hmmmm i only have those drops that u can test, that's the guy gave me to test those things, they've been in my tank for a month now i think,

what do i have to ask the lfs for the liquid? any brand in particular

<----- so stupidada 

Drops that are in the tank? Can you elaborate a bit? Do you have the package so you can post the product name?

James_in_MN said:
What exactly are you referring to?

The concensus on the boards has always been that bacteria in a bottle doesn't add much benefit. Considering that the bacteria in the nitrogen cycle require oxygen and a food source to survive, I can see why.

What is getting oxygen to the bacteria in a bottle that sits on a shelf for months or even years? What food source in that bottle are they consuming to stay alive?

What's interesting to me is you're doing the exact same thing that you accused others of. You state that "Lololol That Guy is able to test bacteria activity in his basement!!" But here, in your post, you're claiming that you tested bacteria activity in your basement, right?

Unless anyone has stuck the liquid from the bottle under a microscope and looked at it, they won't be 100% certain if there is or isn't. Short of doing that, all we have is "testing bacteria activity in our basement" by pouring it in while cycling to see if it speeds it up.

I tried a couple of different products, and they did nothing to speed up my cycles. Others have tried them with the same result.

If you tried it and think it worked, good for you! Go ahead and use the stuff. But don't come on the boards mocking others that have had no success using those products.

The consensus on these forums is that bacteria in a bottle doesn't work. If you can provide concrete evidence to suggest otherwise, let us see it. Otherwise, agree to disagree.

A consensus is not an scientific experiment...
And i sais That i did test a culture to know That there is bacteria but the equipment to mesure activity is to expansive to have at home... And read carefully i said it.

When you can't prove with scientific évidence dont say,
Peuple could believe your OPINION!

I said to, That it is faster but not necessary (bottle bacteria) reffering to the fishless cycling article.

Read carefully before you try to close a discussion my friend.

there is a way to put sleeping bacteria in bottle with very low ammo quantity to make them live in a sleeping State for a year. Look date, you have a year before the effect is to low to be effective. once open, with the oxygène, you have 2 month to use it.

I work in a lab, and you argument are nothing except opinion. If science would have accepted That kind of argument and proof! We would All been dead from a gastro or a flu!!!

*****What's interesting to me is you're doing the exact same thing that you accused others of. You state that "Lololol That Guy is able to test bacteria activity in his basement!!" But here, in your post, you're claiming that you tested bacteria activity in your basement, right?******

read carefully...Until the end of the sentence...i said it take to much expensive equipment...

Look, it's faster but not necessary, 3 weeks is better That 6 and look for a quality product in a quality store( cause if the product freeze in the transport then it dose'nt work) and look the expiration.

If you can't proove, dont answer tour opinion again please, i already know it,
And dont feel attacked, the lolol was for the article who say something without any expérimentation... Here i speak of a true experimentation, with a log That anyone who take your note can find the same result with the same experiment.

Not a "i try on a tank and no result"... As I said, if science would have done experiment like this, we would not be where we are as a society.

I am not making fun of anyone! Its a discussion, and i can have fun when i see a false fact in an article, a false fact with no proof. No one is the target, but if someone feel attacked, sorry.

Last thing,
Lots of non scientist people think That lots of thing science is able to do is impossible because we dont know...
But realise That science is very far in front of us, That guide us!

hold up for monsterguy and james in mn.... time out... its like im on lecture room with 2 debating people, next time im gonna be hearing is conclusions and scientific notation whoa whoa

i just want to let u know guys that i really appreciate the lectures and comments that u are giving me and all ur comments are superb its just that to what knowledge i have in aquarium can be considered minimal as in no knowledge at all, its just that whenever i see my fishes swims it makes me wonder how it feels to take care of such creatures and when someone died it brokes my heart! its like i have done nothing to that poor fellow waaaa

but in superlative conclusion thank u guys for the advicesssss and sorry for the debate

Nobody said anything about a lack of validity of science, and nobody even undermined your opinion, MonsterFishGuy. All that was said was that we all need to be respectful of everyone's OPINIONS.
Your experience was that it helped, others have had that experience. But many others had the experience that it did nothing.
Since there are so many different experiences with the same products, no one person is right. It's everyone's opinions, including yours (like you said), but you need to be respectful.

jenatron said:
Nobody said anything about a lack of validity of science, and nobody even undermined your opinion, MonsterFishGuy. All that was said was that we all need to be respectful of everyone's OPINIONS.
Your experience was that it helped, others have had that experience. But many others had the experience that it did nothing.
Since there are so many different experiences with the same products, no one person is right. It's everyone's opinions, including yours (like you said), but you need to be respectful.

i need to be RESPECTFUL? what did i say to be unrespectful?

jenatron said:
I said "MonsterFishGuy," not you.

ahhh u forgot to quote and quote the persons name that's why, anyways yap that's ive been telling to the thread too how monsterfish talks about scientific blah blah and i dont know its just that im thinking when he replied to the thread i think he's not actually doesnt know if its the right thread... but other than that i really dont know what are they talking about...

but with all the comments and replied that i have read, im just thankful for having this kind of forum that will surely help other people who have no idea what they're doin, like ahem ME

Let`s try to get this thread back on track. We need to understand that everyone has the right to post their opinion without being flamed on or called names. Let`s forget any that has happened and try to help the OP out on his thread.

melosu58 said:
Let`s try to get this thread back on track. We need to understand that everyone has the right to post their opinion without being flamed on or called names. Let`s forget any that has happened and try to help the OP out on his thread.

where are we know oh yeah its about my pleco who died 3 days ago

i was thinking if i cant keep my pleco alive then how bout an aro in my tank  waaaaa im going to put ornaments this weekend and just bought petrified wood i like gemstones hehe i even do wire work jewellery

anyways i found this local guy who sells tons and tons of gemstones and different rocks with 30-40% off, and when i went to his backyard my eyes was something like this  whoa really in different shapes forms and sizes and kinds too that i want to put everything in my tank but yap some stones are dangerous though to fishes....

where are we know oh yeah its about my pleco who died 3 days ago

i was thinking if i cant keep my pleco alive then how bout an aro in my tank  waaaaa im going to put ornaments this weekend and just bought petrified wood i like gemstones hehe i even do wire work jewellery

By "aro" do you mean arowana?

Back
Top Bottom