Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 91
H2O supply contaminated with E. coli!!!!

As the title says, we found out that our local water supply is contaminated.
My weekly pwc is for tomorrow. (50%)
Should I:
1- boil water, then add a bubbler and prime to cool overnight,
2- add chlorox to my water. Let sit overnight then add 5-10 x prime dose before my water change
3- add ammonia, let sit overnight then add 5-10 x prime dose
4- add aquarium salt and prime

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Trying to avoid buying bottled water for the fish (wife is having a hard time with me purchasing water that could be used for cooking/consumption/ bathing our own fry, btw)
__________________

__________________
ASF07003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ulrichsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 397
Could you get one of those filter faucet attachments? All your options seem like a lot of work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
60 gallon 48"l w/ Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus acei, Pseudotropheus demasoni
Ulrichsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
sealife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia.
Posts: 739
Personally I would go with option 1.
All options have a bit of work involved, but boiling is the easiest, and heat should hopefully kill off the bug. (Google the temperature at which e.coli dies off)
And I would stick with this option for every water change until your tap water is safe.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,614
I would just use bleach to be honest. It's super simple and won't require anywhere near as high of a dose of prime as you think. Following these directions I would just go with a double dose. These directions are for drinking water so you could even do this for drinking.

Make Drinking Water Safe with Bleach

How to purify water with Bleach
If the collected water to be treated is cloudy and contains sediment, either scoop a new sample with less sediment, or strain it first through a makeshift filter (cloth bandana, t-shirt, coffee filter, etc..) or let it sit in the container allowing sediment to settle to the bottom. Gently pour off the clearer water on top.

Directions for using bleach for drinking water:

Use regular liquid household bleach (any brand); however the only active ingredient should be sodium hypochlorite. Do not use bleach that contain soaps, perfumes, or dyes. Be sure to read the label.

Add 8 drops (almost one-eighth U.S. teaspoon) of regular liquid bleach per one gallon of water to be treated.

Mix thoroughly and let stand for 30 minutes (important).

Then, smell the water. If the water has a faint smell of chlorine, then it is okay to use. If you cannot detect any chlorine odor, add another 8 drops of regular liquid bleach. Let stand, and smell it again. If you still cannot smell chlorine, discard it and find another water source.

Chlorine test strips are useful to verify the chlorine level in the water. The maximum safe level for drinking water according to the EPA is 4 ppm (parts per million).
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Carpentersville, IL
Posts: 1,524
Does E. Coli even affect fish?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,886
I would honestly play it safe and not do your water change until the water is back to normal. Better than to risk infection of you and your fish (if they can catch it but I'm assuming they can't).
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
Does E. Coli even affect fish?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I'm with coyne.. fish thrive in environments that send us to the er after one sip...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
GreenLily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 593
What if this member has children? Why would anyone (children or not) want to even have contaminated water sitting around? I would rather be on the safe side and disinfect it (option a or b) just for my own safety.

You could also leave it until the water is safe again, as Dallascowboys mentioned.
__________________
GreenLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
From a quick read on the topic, it appears that your fish are in little to no danger from using the water untreated as them picking up the pathogen directly from the water column isn't that high of a probability, but that probability does increase with increased exposure to the contaminated water. Even then it appears that e.coli has little detrimental effect on the fish host itself.
The biggest risk/concern would be human infection from contact with the fish's fecal matter if they do harbor the pathogen.
If they are eating food contaminated with e.coli, then they definitely are harboring the bacterium in their guts and passing it in fecal matter.

Bleach is the best/safest way of dealing with this pathogen in your water.
Boiling the water will alter the chemical composition of the water by concentrating any dissolved solids present.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
MICEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SPRINGFIELD,OREGON
Posts: 490
you could buy ro water from those machines at the supermarket , they have a uv filter in them that should kill any germs
__________________
MICEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Hulka9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 298
I dont think e coli matters for fish. Only when we eat them! I could be wrong though.
__________________

__________________
Hulka9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, contaminated, supply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Softened H2O vs. Hard H2O gmanova General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 3 11-14-2011 03:16 PM
Warning - Contaminated Eco Complete in the market Al_ Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 4 05-05-2005 10:36 PM
Contaminated water? CoreyB Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 09-15-2004 11:38 PM
Copper Contaminated Live Rock DoctorKewl Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 6 08-15-2004 03:10 PM
ARGHHH!!! Contaminated gravel! Catalina Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 10-13-2003 02:54 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.