Hacking a canister filter ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Shouldn't there be a way to "hack" a filter such that you could put 2 buckets on the floor ... One empty one clean water ... And just press "go" to change out 5 gal of water?

Bonus if It can be set to make the change slowly ...

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Shouldn't there be a way to "hack" a filter such that you could put 2 buckets on the floor ... One empty one clean water ... And just press "go" to change out 5 gal of water?

Bonus if It can be set to make the change slowly ...

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Good question. Maybe if you had a t-piece with shut-off valves (really good ones) for two intake hoses (one hose would sit in tank as per normal, the other would be connected for bucket of water when needed). Then same with outlet hoses if that may work?

Good question. Maybe if you had a t-piece with shut-off valves (really good ones) for two intake hoses (one hose would sit in tank as per normal, the other would be connected for bucket of water when needed). Then same with outlet hoses if that may work?
You would just be spitting a mix of new and old water out of both intakes.

Imho, this would be a whole lot of trouble for very little benefit. If you make a diy canister it would be easier to do.

If it were me, id get a siphon with a very long hose to go straight to the bath tub. Then a water pump and a bucket to refill the tank.

You would just be spitting a mix of new and old water out of both intakes.

Imho, this would be a whole lot of trouble for very little benefit. If you make a diy canister it would be easier to do.

If it were me, id get a siphon with a very long hose to go straight to the bath tub. Then a water pump and a bucket to refill the tank.

Good point.

If the t-piece has shut off valves on both inlets (on way to canister) you could I assume shut off one (tank) and open the other (bucket). Same for outlet.

Wonder how fish shops do it for ones that have a central filter system (I've never seen them here).

Interesting discussion. I'm glad I found it. I have a simple siphon that I have been using duct tape to attach to either a shopvac tube or a garden hose and stick it out the window. My tank is about 15 yards or more away from the kitchen sink/bathroom area and the window is only about 6 feet away. Using a bucket to drain is not practical since I'm doing 15-20% water changes for a 75 gal. It's bad enough I have to get a cooler or rubbermaid tub (pre-cleaned of course) and carry/drag it from the kitchen to the tank to re-fill.

You've all just given me the idea of splicing the drain end of the siphon to a short (6-8 foot) garden hose (same diameter) and save the trouble of minor leaks while draining:facepalm: and having someone else have to hold the shopvac tube to keep it pointing out the window and down. It will also help to keep a strong suction and the water flowing out nicely.

I like the idea mentioned of installing a T-piece with shutoffs built-in to the intake for the filter.(y) If not needing to vac the gravel it is definitely the easiest for water changes. For me, I would then have it be attached to a garden hose to go out the window (as mentioned above). I don't see an easy way to re-fill using the same system though...

I must confess I'm unsure why people want to do it? I was just wondering as I know they are a pain to take outside, clean, put back and prime (at least mine is :) )

Kinda what I do for PWC's on my 10. I take the tube bringing water back into the tank, put it in a bucket and fill it up however much water I want to change. Since my canister has a switch for stopping flow I just take the intake and stick that in clean water, fill it up and then put the intake back in the tank and I'm done.

I must confess I'm unsure why people want to do it? I was just wondering as I know they are a pain to take outside, clean, put back and prime (at least mine is :) )

I'm not sure with other canister filters...I have the API Rena Filstar XP3 and I never have to prime it. It has a shut-off disconnect switch that I flip immediately after unplugging and then I just remove the piece with the hoses and the whole canister is free to empty. When done I just put the hoses back in and flip the switch back open and tank water rushes in, forcing the air out. When full I plug it in and it's back to fully operational.

Nils - What kind of filter do you have? I like your idea of moving the intake to the bucket of clean water!:) That should definitely help cut down on time and energy for refilling. It's such an easy solution, I feel like the commercial ":facepalm:Shoulda had a V8"

Back
Top Bottom