Hagen Test Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have any used them befor ?am using hagen ammonia test in my fresh water and it gives me zero ammonia all the time.I`v tried it in my friend tank which has a sponge filtetr and ALOT of fish with the same result?I have been dosing ammonia in my tank and it still the same (0 ammonia)The thing is I have another SW tank and the test work great .What do you think ?

I've had good results with Hagen and Dr. Wellfish.

By the way, the spelling police are watching you.

I think this one may need the typing and punctuation police more than the spelling police. :) *flexes* That's me!

To the subject at hand, make sure you're not using water conditioners that remove ammonia. Otherwise, I believe your test results can show up the same all the time and not always be accurate!!

Sorry I was in a hurry :oops: .As for the water conditioner ,am using AquaPluse.Could it be the problem?

I browsed around and saw this:

"Aqua Plus Water Conditioner from Hagen
Aqua Plus makes tap water safe for fish by eliminating chlorine and chloramine. Neutralizes heavy metals and and protects fish by replacing their natural mucous coating. Pure herbal extracts and essential oils have a sedative effect against stress related to transportation and handling. Use at every water change and when adding new fish to the aquarium."

If that's what you're using, it doesn't appear to mention anything about getting rid of ammonia. So in that case, I do not know what may be causing your tests to always read the same even after dosing with ammonia.

Hi...There are 2 types of ammonia tests. They are called a salicylate test, or a nessler test. If you use an ammonia-removing product like Amquel (which you don't need if your tank is cycled) then you must use the salicylate test. The nessler test may give a false positive reading. I use the salicylate test from Doc Wellfish (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals). The salicylate test is in a gold box, and it says 130 tests. The nessler test from Doc Wellfish is in a yellow box, and says 80 tests. I got them mixed up once!

But, if you don't use an ammonia-removing product, I wonder how old your tests are. There are no expiration dates on the Doc Wellfish brands, but they can get old and expire. I try to get new tests when mine are about a year or so old.

I will share the typo and punctuation police duties with Kerrinne! :lol: I'm an editor and it's hard to "leave work at work" sometimes!! :D

Ok I just did Nitrite test and its about .5 ppm?I guess the ammonia test is not working anymore( its kinda old)I will get a new one ASAP .Thanks .

Back
Top Bottom