Hair and BBA algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, my tank was relatively algae free when I wasn't dosing ferts. Of course my plants started dying so I got dry ferts, namely KNO3, KH2PO4, and Plantex CSM+B. Since then, hair algae and BBA has started to grow rampant, so I've been pulling out like a fistfull of algae weekly. Anyway, pulling it out isn't the solution, so what can I do?

Tank spec:
46gal
40lbs eco-complete
2x39W T5HO
no CO2 (yet...)

mmm panda :eating:

--Adeeb

I found hair algae to be an excess of phosphates....try to cut down on the dosing of KH2PO4, it may even be that you have phosphates in your tap water so you may want to test that to see if you need to dose it at all.
Phosphates also come from uneaten food and other dissolved organics. My suggestion is cut down the phosphate and see what happens. It will probably take a week or two to make a huge difference but keep with it.

Your lighting looks good...how long per day do you leave the lights on?

Take a look at getting the CO2 going also if you are having BBA, it is a MONSTER to get rid of without it.

also how old are your bulbs? it could be that it is time to replace them if the spectrum shifted and now it's not quite right for the plants but the algae likes it.
if the bulbs are still under a year old the co2 would probably be the best thing to help with the algae or flourish excel which is a co2 substitute.

The bulbs are only 6mo, so they're fine. However, they were on for 12 hours :p I I forgot to set the time properly... How long should they be on for? 10hrs?

I'm dosing phosphate to 1.25ppm twice a week, too much?

--Adeeb

Good suggestions all around. Remember that bulb life really should be measured in operating hours and not the period of ownership. I think spectrum may be a contributing factor. Eliminate the other possibilities first, but if reducing feeding / dosing and duration of light don't work I'd seriously start looking at new bulbs. Just my random 1 cent.

You will have a tough time getting rid of the BBA without CO2. Best way I found to get rid of it was crank the CO2 way up, and also spot treat with a syringe and Flourish Excel. That stuff works wonders. The BBA was dead in a day with this combination.

I'm looking to get a regulator right now. Better to get rid of the algae before things really get bad... So, 8hrs of light or 10? Bulbs are Life-Glo 6700K.

--Adeeb

8 hrs to maintain, 10 to grow it out. If algae is becoming a problem, I would stick with 8.

Back
Top Bottom