Hand Feeding Fish (Elephant Nose)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slarty Bartfast

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just picked up an elephant nose and people are mentioning that they are feeding them by hand, eventually.

So, if you have a fish you hand feed: What technique did you use for feeding to get them to come to your hand, and what are you feeding them?

Thanks!

I hear bloodworms works great to get fish to hand feed, just hold it between your fingers in the water until they come and eat it

i had an elephant nose once...bad experience. loved the fish, but it wouldnt eat ANYTHING! tried live brine, bloodworms, tubafix, even frozen of all the stuff i just listed. wouldnt touch flake either. one time tho, he did nibble tubafix worms. i tried other stuff too, just cant remember.
the water was fine and everything, must have been a bad fish. It really made me mad tho, cuz i got it from an lfs that i really liked and trusted, never had one of their fish die....

anyways, what tropicfishman says is exactly what ive heard. i also saw it at that lfs too, where the guy had his own tank behind the counter, and he would always hand feed it

well, he(she?) just died, I don't think he acclimatized to the tank. fed him frozen bloodworms and saw him eat a few times, but I think the new environment finally stressed him out. it's a wide 40gal, with plenty of hiding places, rocks, vegetation. Going to try again, I've tested the water and it looks fine. So I'll drop the $20 and get another. Every time one dies, though, I feel like I've let God down, a little bit, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, the bloodworms are little tiny things, the idea of wiggling it around just doesn't make sense to me, I gotta figure that my big old hand in there will be way more scary than the temptation of the bloodworm, but we'll see. What I want to find is LIVE worms for a while, to make sure it's eating, then switch to frozen....

Back
Top Bottom