Happy Guys!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperGirl117

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hopefully hubs gets paid enough so I can buy then buy them a 40+ gallon tank but I have been testing my water every other day and doing water changes when needed. But for those of you who have been helping me and shaking your head for my poor fish and their confined quarters. They have seemed to give up on fighting over the new plant. The pleco has slowly taken his territory on the plant and the betta doesnt mess with him as long as his sleeping place is empty.

And for the first time since we got him I am seeing his dorsal (?) fin out. Which might not be good but atleast I know it is complete and with no injuries.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130602_214020.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130602_214020.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20130602_214032.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130602_214032.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20130602_214040.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130602_214040.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 85
Ooo a 40 will be an amazing tank upgrade. Personally the 40 breeder tanks are my favorite so far, it has a lot more depth to add aquascaping room. I especially like them over the ever popular 55g tanks that are out there.

Ooo a 40 will be an amazing tank upgrade. Personally the 40 breeder tanks are my favorite so far, it has a lot more depth to add aquascaping room. I especially like them over the ever popular 55g tanks that are out there.

What is a breeder tank? Lol. Is that what they are actually called. I am trying to wait for the petco sale

What is a breeder tank? Lol. Is that what they are actually called. I am trying to wait for the petco sale

Breeder tanks are generally shorter and wider than normal tanks

a 40 Long tank is 48 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 16 inches high

a 40 High tank is 36 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 20 inches high

finally a 40 breeder is 36 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 16 inches high

The added width of the tanks make them a better grow out tank for fry so they will grow faster and larger which is why they are called breeder tanks. I like them because the added width gives more versatility in aquascaping.

Also the 16"depth is awesome for a planted tank because the shorter height means you can achieve med/high to high light levels without having to get a fixture so bright that it rivals the thermonuclear fusion reaction of the sun. LOL

Also the 16"depth is awesome for a planted tank because the shorter height means you can achieve med/high to high light levels without having to get a fixture so bright that it rivals the thermonuclear fusion reaction of the sun. LOL

What does that mean in English not fish talk? Lol

What does that mean in English not fish talk? Lol

LOL it means a 16" height tank can be lighted for good plant growth with a lower amount of light than a tall tank. A 20 to 24 inch tall tank takes a much stronger light to get even medium light plants to grow properly. OS.

LOL it means a 16" height tank can be lighted for good plant growth with a lower amount of light than a tall tank. A 20 to 24 inch tall tank takes a much stronger light to get even medium light plants to grow properly. OS.

I'll second that. I attempted to upgrade my 29 to a 55 while using the longer version of my previous light fixture. It sadly isn't enough light now and I need to upgrade.

I understood that. Me and science and math aren't good friends to say the least. All those fancy words start to go together and I am reading what Charlie Browns teacher was saying. Wahwah etc. I am not trying to insult but mi eyes gloss over and my brain turns off lol.

Turn a flashlight on and point it towards the floor at waist height. Now take that same flashlight and bring it down to knee height. See how much brighter the floor gets? That's kind of how it is in a tank. The bottom substrate will get more light the lower the lights sit.

David

Back
Top Bottom