Hard-to-catch Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey. I have my 20gallon all stocked up with my dwarf puffers but I'm having a problem- the guppy. I want to get him out of there, as I know the DPs and the guppy do not mix and that with my 4 DPs, that the tank is at its capacity.

The problem is, I can't seem to catch the guppy. Any time I so much as wave my hand in front of the tank, he hides in some well established plants that I don't want to rip out just to get him.

I tried using food to lure him to the front, but even with the food he continues to dart back to the places where I can't get my net.

Any tips?

what i had to do with my danios is go buy a big tank net and then use the small one to basically chase them into the big one caught all 6 of my danio's in less than 2 mins that way :D
way less stressful to the fish that way too

Try using something else to scare the fish into the net. I use tongs that i use to root plants into the substrate, in order to guide fish into a net.

Have you looked into the funny red supposedly "Infrared" ffish nets? I don't have one, but whenever I watch my LFS's employees try to catch fish, those always seem to do better than conventional green or blue nets. And +1 to chasing or scaring fish in a bigger net using a smaller net (or other object).

This happened to me the other day with a guppy. Eventually I gave up and came back the next day and was able to use two nets to herd her. It sucked.

In the big tank there is only two ways for me to catch fish. First I do the "add food and when it comes up to eat nab it" but you better be fast. If that fails I wait till night get a flashlight and net the fish when it's sleeping, barring it's not in a ton of plants.

In the big tank there is only two ways for me to catch fish. First I do the "add food and when it comes up to eat nab it" but you better be fast. If that fails I wait till night get a flashlight and net the fish when it's sleeping, barring it's not in a ton of plants.

The night method is what I used to get my black skirts out of my 55.

Drain the water down which will help you move the net a lot quicker and slow the fish down.

Obviously keep your water and then put the water back in.

Trying to catch a flying fox is the hardest, this is what I ended up doing!

What I did was put my net in the water when I fed the fish. They got so use to the net being there it didn't bother them no more. I caught 8 zebra danios this way in my 55 gallon. Took about a week to get them use to it.

Back
Top Bottom