Hard Water...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flo_Evans

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
GH, KH, dH, TDS?

What is the most relevant test?

From my API test strips I have 180 GH (near or at the top of the test range). 80 KH.

This seems to indicate I have hard water. Some say hard water adds "buffering capacity" to pH?

Is there anything that can be done? Should I look for fish that thrive in hard water?

Hi Flo_Evans:

Yes, judging by those numbers you do have hard water. I'm guessing your ph is up around 8 or even a bit higher?

It's true that hard water usually has a more stable ph because of the buffering capacity.

Trying to adjust your hardness and ph is tough to do and could lead to trouble. I think looking for fish that tolerate or even thrive in hard water/alkaline conditions is a better way to go. A lot of livebearers, and many cichlids, do well in hard water. Even some of the ones usually described as needing "soft water/acidic" have been extensively captive bred in harder water and may be okay in your tank. Check your LFS and see what they think, both about the water in your area and the types of fish they have on hand that are suitable.

You'll have no lack of excellent fish to choose from!

-Yorg

GH, KH, dH, TDS?

What is the most relevant test?

From my API test strips I have 180 GH (near or at the top of the test range). 80 KH.

This seems to indicate I have hard water. Some say hard water adds "buffering capacity" to pH?

Is there anything that can be done? Should I look for fish that thrive in hard water?

I agree with Yorg. Go with your source water rather than fighting it. Choose fish to suit unless you are really determined to keep soft water fish and are prepared for the cost and effort involved. It's easier to harden water than to soften it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom