Hard water stains also water damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I didn't know what thread to put this in so sorry if it's wrong! I purchased a 55g tank from a lady and when i got it was in bad shape! I have been cleaning on it all day with white vinager and cannot get the stains off the rim and glass! Does anybody know anything else I can do? I have it filled with clean water right now to see if there is any Leaks. My stand also has some water damage. The tank has been sitting on it for a while she says! Do yall think there is any way I can sand it down and repaint it? Or just buy another on? I would really like to save it if I can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1441490815092.jpg
    1441490815092.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 1441490835980.jpg
    1441490835980.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 74
  • 1441490896960.jpg
    1441490896960.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 80
The damage to the stand is not sandable.
It is the "wood" delaminating from moisture.
Possibly with simple building skills,a board can be attatched and make the stand secure again(along the bottom).
Probabl;y not worth it without good skills as repairs are often more complicated then builds them selves when all is said and done.
Otherwise I would not use the stand without short term plans to replace(I meant short term).

The water stains can pretty much only be removed by scrubbing. Run a razor blade on that area, it should come right off.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The damage to the stand is not sandable.
It is the "wood" delaminating from moisture.
Possibly with simple building skills,a board can be attatched and make the stand secure again(along the bottom).
Probabl;y not worth it without good skills as repairs are often more complicated then builds them selves when all is said and done.
Otherwise I would not use the stand without short term plans to replace(I meant short term).

Ok thank you I still might try to work on it a little bit but I probably just need to purchase a new one!

The water stains can pretty much only be removed by scrubbing. Run a razor blade on that area, it should come right off.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ok I tried scrubbing with a plastic putty knife for hours with the vinager but it would dry and still be there! I will try again with a razor blade tommrow!

Sometimes you can't see the hard water spots when the tank is full

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you sure its hard water stains and not salt creep? Do you know what she previously kept in there?

For me personally I would get a new stand, it's only going to be a problem for you if anything else looks like that

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

See if you can locate Bar Keeper's Friend at your local grocery or hardware store. It's many, many times stronger than vinegar (which isn't all that strong to begin with). It help me when I was having a similar issue cleaning up an aquarium. Just be sure to rinse it out thoroughly.

https://www.barkeepersfriend.com

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sometimes you can't see the hard water spots when the tank is full

^^PLUS 1^^ to this!
Fill it up if possible before killing yourself.
I have never seen a used tank look as clean as new when empty.
Most all look good enough when filled.
Let the vinegar soak on stains with paper towel or sponge to help then razor while wet if necessary.

For me personally I would get a new stand, it's only going to be a problem for you if anything else looks like that

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile
When I went to pick it up she had cichlids in it! I know water stains happen but she didn't even own a simple gravel vac

Thank you all for the advice I am going to try the razor blade idea! I'm hoping it will work

Just keep in mind, you will never get all the hard water marks off. I know this, I get used tanks all the time and I've tried. Please don't kill yourself and then not enjoy what you are doing. That would suck. ;)

Back
Top Bottom