Hardest feshwater fish to keep.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattefect

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I'm thinking on starting another tank in a few months and wanted to know the hardest freshwater fish to keep. Also the tank size and water parameters. Thanks

From the looks of it, you appear to already have them.

I'm sure others may suggest something different (predator tank? arrowana?) but the most common answer I've seen to this question is Discus.

So you think discus are the hardest, well then I already have them :) do you know anything bout African cichlids.

Silver arowana seem hard to me, but you can brackish water fish but it is not exactly freshwater. Brackish water fish are usually harder.

Hope this helps

Ok yea I dont think ima have funds for an arowana tank. So arowana out of the list

So you think discus are the hardest, well then I already have them :) do you know anything bout African cichlids.

Sorry, closest I get to cichlids are the community kind. I'd eventually like to try a "real" cichid tank myself - but living in a 1BR / 1BA apartment has its limitations on aquarium space.

:D

Brackish could be a neat way to go - but the difficulty there comes more from the mixing of the saltwater than it does from the actual fragility of the fish. But there are some really unique and interesting fish for a brackish tank.

Mattefect said:
Ok yea I dont think ima have funds for an arowana tank. So arowana out of the list

Your funny! You have funds for Discus but not arowana? From the research I've done on Discus they're pretty expensive! :)

Tigroscr said:
Your funny! You have funds for Discus but not arowana? From the research I've done on Discus they're pretty expensive! :)

The ones I want which I believe are the red turquoise variety are $120 apiece!

Mattefect said:

Can I pm you later? I'm thinking about starting a tank with discus and need some general info :)

Haha last arowana I saw was R300 which is $50 but my discus were only $25 and arowana need a big tank

Mattefect said:
Haha last arowana I saw was R300 which is $50 but my discus were only $25 and arowana need a big tank

Wow! That's cheap! Where did you get them and what kind are they?

if you are looking for difficult/sensitive fish.....then Chocolate Gourami should be high on the list.

I honestly don't think Discus are more difficult to keep than any of the oddball freshwater fish.
Their main drawback is the fact they are expensive fish, so most aquarists never get a chance to own them. And when you do, you dedicate and spend extra time and care to protect the money you invested in them.

I personally have found the Black Ghost knife and Elephant Nose to be more sensitive and require a higher level of care (especially feeding).

Another difficult/sensitive fish is the Chocolate Gourami!! Most don't even survive the first week after purchase :nono:

Back
Top Bottom