Hardiest Cory Cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a particular species of Cory Cat that you've found to be hardier than others? Particularly one that can thrive in a PH of 7.8? I've tried Julii Corys before and I can't seem to keep them alive for more than a month even though my other fish are doing fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I asked that at one point and was told several times that 7.8 is perfectly fine if it's stable, for most community fish.

I'd agree it'd help to know more about the tank.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

29 Gallon. Pool Filter Sand substrate. Moderately planted. Tank mates would be zebra Danios and White Clouds along with some Amano Shrimp.

I would say corydoras aeneus or paleatus. Supposedly they are great beginner corydoras.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 on paleatus and aeneus. Not the same thing as high pH, but I keep them paleatus warm water (82 degrees) out of their comfort zone, and even at 88 degrees (treating for ich), with an airstone theyve shown no distress. And I've kept paleatus in water with 20 degrees GH pH 8.0

Cool, thanks! I was also wondering about the Agassiz variety. I know my LFS often has them in stock. They seem to be rated all the way up to a PH of 8.0.

Pygmy and sterbai are the most hardy cories in my opinion. Especially tank bred ones. When I started fish keeping and didn't know acclimation, I just dumped them into the tank and they always recover within an hour. My temperature in my country is 82degrees all year round with fluctuation of 8degrees on certain days and they still do fine. I recommend sterbai and pygmy :thumbup::)

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had some trilineatus that withstood quite a bit of stress, filthy tanks, mini cycles, substrate change, getting stuck in decor, but I would agree on the aenus as well. Just make sure you're getting good stock and acclimate properly! Good luck!

In case anyone still cares, I thought I'd update this thread. I ended up getting 4 paleatus (Peppered Cory) yesterday. So far, they are much more active than my Juliis ever were and seem to be doing fine. If they all hang in there for a couple weeks, I'll probably get them 2 more friends to keep them happy in a bigger school. So thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Is there a particular species of Cory Cat that you've found to be hardier than others? Particularly one that can thrive in a PH of 7.8? I've tried Julii Corys before and I can't seem to keep them alive for more than a month even though my other fish are doing fine.

I've got bronze corys living in 8.4 ph just fine. Have had them for 3 years

Good choice, Clyde. I've got both peppered and bronze cories in my tank, I think visually the peppered are a little more interesting to look at.

Hmm, my false juli are extremely active, one of my favorite to watch. The elegans are the lazy ones..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the false Jullis in one tank and peppered cories in the other. The peppered are my favorite. I think they have more personality and I really like the way they act, less spazy and more deliberate, and each one looks slightly different in pattern and shades of colors. Alison

Peppereds are the best, I got a school of 4 of them in my tank, with water at a P.H of 8.3 and they still thrive in it, In fact they just spawned. And the peppereds are very fearless, if would highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hmm, my false juli are extremely active, one of my favorite to watch. The elegans are the lazy ones..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
My elegans are far from lazy! They swim all over the tank and are my fave Cory atm, tho pandas are close 2nd.

All the Cories I've ever kept seem to spend about half their time looking like they're trying to get out of the tank, going up and down the glass. The other half of the time, they are down on the bottom, digging in the sand. My new Peppered guys are doing the same thing. Is this normal behavior?

Sounds perfectly normal to me, main reason I love and keep corys is their high activity levels and as my wife says "they're lil wigglers"

Back
Top Bottom