Hardy tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Pearl Gourami in my 55g community with no issues. I had a Dwarf Gourami in a 10g with tetras; no issues. I think the Tiger Barbs would be what the stock has to be centered around. For tetras, Sammy has good ideas. Serpae, Black Skirt, and Silver Tip would be my top 3 tetras that could tolerate the barbs.

I have a Pearl Gourami in my 55g community with no issues. I had a Dwarf Gourami in a 10g with tetras; no issues. I think the Tiger Barbs would be what the stock has to be centered around. For tetras, Sammy has good ideas. Serpae, Black Skirt, and Silver Tip would be my top 3 tetras that could tolerate the barbs.
---

I've been breeding phantoms for a year, they even hung around my female betta for a while, until I moved her to the breeding tank (bred bettas as well haha)

Theres something about Tetras that inspire me

Possibly, that is what I mean by you will basically have to base your stocking options around the school of Tiger Barbs. I personally would say to go with Silver Tips; they are fast and would be able to escape any rogue Tiger Barbs.

If you are dead set on the TB's then just get one large school of them. Then as for bottom dwellers, I would recommend Kuhli Loaches because they have a lot of character. I still am not sure about a centerpiece fish that wouldn't be in danger of the Tiger Barbs' aggression.

Maybe I am exaggerating their aggressive behavior, but everything I've read basically says they are mean little suckers.

No problem :3 I had a betta before, blue and purple and amazing with tetras (which is unlike betta fish)

And if you get Bolivian Rams, be sure to have a cave or shaded area as they prefer low lighting and driftwood to mark their territories; and they tend to be bold and energetic so be prepared for a show!

I only have one issue with that and it is that there are too many fish in the bottom levels of your tank. Bolivian Rams, Zebra Loaches, and Corydoras all swim in the same area of the aquarium and that stocking will overstock the bottom of your tank while you have nothing except the Tetras for the upper and middle levels of the tank. I've had this problem and it really throws off a tank.

Here's my idea:

1 Pearl Gourami
12 Tetras (your choice)
5 Zebra Loaches

That would probably fill your tank fairly well. You may could add something else for the top like Hatchetfish or Guppies. Again, this is just an idea.

That's a good idea Aaron I had that problem when I began working with tetras

I ended up with a 25 G that consists of 5 neons, 3 Black Phantoms (have a fourth but in Breeding tank) and a Oto cat P:

I wouldn't put a hatchetfish in with a pearl gourami, from experience.

I have 6 kuhlis in my 20 gallon, they go nuts with dimmer light, swim all over. They will bump into any fish that doesn't move, but they will never nip them.
Hide a lot when the tank lights on though. Just set up your tank so that the hiding spots are still visible to you.

With the betta in with tetras; It's rare for the betta to be aggressive towards them, usually the other way around, and the betta gets nipped. Which may make the betta aggressive towards them.

If you do look into small cichlids, I recommend Kribs. Get a male and a couple females and your set, if you have caves, you're set for breeding.
If you can't fit more than 2 kribs into your stock, just wait a couple weeks until the male picks a partner, and remove the other females. They will be a pair for a long time, meaning lots of fry, and possible money!

Yes, almost any dwarf cichlid would work: Apistos, Kribs, Rams, etc. Some are just hardier than others.

I must say that I have a Pearl Gourami in with my Marbled Hatchets and everybody gets along great. I see my Kuhlis all the time, you just have to keep them in a group of 5+ for them to come out more during the day.

Back
Top Bottom