Hardy tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are many different tetras that are hardy. What size aquarium are you wanting to put tetras in? What will the other inhabitants be? Some tetras are a bit aggressive, so depending on their tank mates they may or may not work.

Yes; Red-Eyes, Bloodfins, Silvertips, Black Skirt, and a few others are very hardy Tetras.

My only question would be, do you have any problems with the Tiger Barbs being very aggressive? I don't know if they would end up harming another school of fish or not.

Oh, well I wouldn't recommend keeping Tiger Barbs or other nippy fish with any Gourami. They would likely nip at their feelers, so either the Gourami or the Barbs have to go IMO.

They might work, especially with some stockier gouramis (golds, blues, etc.). I'd say Tiger Barbs, a Gourami, the Flying Fox, and maybe a shark (red tail or rainbow) would be a good semi-aggressive tank.

ive had problems with keeping tiger barb and gouramis together. the TB like to nip and bully.

LyndaB: Sorry, forgot we were only talking about a 40g.

awilson133: I figured problems were probably likely with TB and any fish that is peaceful, slow, or has long fins.

fishyperson3010: Really it all depends. I think in a 40 you would be best to just have 1 school of fish. Maybe have something like 10-12 Tiger Barbs, 1 Centerpiece fish (will try to get some ideas), and some type of bottom dweller. I just can't see 2 different schools of fish, especially since we are talking about the fairly large Tiger Barbs. A single, larger group of schoolers is better than 2 smaller groups IMO.

Oh, in that case you could squeeze in 2 mid-level schoolers. I'd say 8 Tiger Barbs and 8-10 Tetras depending on the species you pick. I really can't help because I have only kept the more peaceful types of tetras, but in a tank with Tiger Barbs, a peaceful school of Tetras would be scared to death by the Tiger Barbs. Put simply, I'm not of much help when it comes to stocking a tank that includes TB's. I just have never had them so I don't know how they interact with other fish. I just know that they are aggressive, nippy, and can take over a tank especially if not kept in a proper sized school; 8+ fish IMO.

Tetras

Gouramis are very aggressive and do not work well with other fish unless the tank size is large enough (TRUST ME; I learned the hard way).

Many tetras are hardy but if you prefer a peaceful one, look into Black Phantom Tetras (or BP Tetras). They prefer a shoal or school of 5 to 7 and are seethrough, so not only are they peaceful but fun to look at. Skeleton, Creep, XRay, Spooks and Ghost are very healthy and they like some caves to hide in and call their own.

Black phantom tetra
Pictures and information found here :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom