Hardy Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DCtank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank with 3 sunset fire platies and, soon, 8 zebra danios. I'm starting to consider my next additions and am deciding between:

-lemon tetras;
-balloon red eye tetras; or
-pristellas

but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm wondering which will stay the smallest and the minimum number I should have. All three are schooling fish as far as I know.

Pristellas grow to be about 2 inches
Lemons I believe are around the same, perhaps smaller at about 1.5 inch
I'm not familiar with the Balloon red eyes. I actually had to google them to see what they were :ermm:. I've often heard that regular Red Eyes can be nasty nippers. The regulars get to be about 3 inches.

Personally I like Lemons, I think they have a very nice shape and make good community fish for the most part.

Another I really like are Ornate Tetras(also known as Rosy tetras)

Rummy nose are another great schooler, they stay about 2 inches as well and are very peaceful.

All tetras are schoolers and you will need at least 5-6 of them. Of course the more the better.

Many have recommended Lemon tetras to me when I was setting up my 55, so that's my vote.

Ever considered Neon tetras? Their hardiness depends on their source, but I got mine from Petsmart, and they're doing fine. I've done plenty of things to upset them though.... sigh...

Phoenixkiller, I love Neon Tetras -- and my kids think they are cool -- but everything I've read, and the guy at my LFS, says that they aren't good in a new tank. Also, my water's pH is high and I read that Neons like it low.

Phoenixkiller, I love Neon Tetras -- and my kids think they are cool -- but everything I've read, and the guy at my LFS, says that they aren't good in a new tank. Also, my water's pH is high and I read that Neons like it low.

the neons will adjust to your PH. Most fish will actually, neons can be sensative fish but I find it comes down to supplier mostly. I've always found to have good luck if I go into the store and find out when the shipment was last, if it hasn't been recently(a few days at least) than I check out the tank and see how the fish are. I've found that any time I buy from a newer shipment that I always end up with deaths and I think it's just so much stress on 1 little fish. It's hard ot get a shipment thats been in the store any amount of time sometimes because they are SO popular.

Don't ever, ever listen to a pet store owner, knowledgeable or not. The new tank thing may be a bit of a stretch, I agree, but the pH thing?

I have heard time and again that pH is greatly overrated, and should be ignored. This is not only by reading, I keep my Neons in 8.0+ pH, and they're doing fine.

So maybe if you wait until the tank is cycled (If you don't know what cycling is, just ask!), that should be fine. I have heard stories of people keeping scaleless and sensitive fish in tanks that are a month or so old, and they had no problems. So just make sure tank parameters are stable, and Neons should do fine. Now if you wanted CARDINAL tetras, that's a different story entirely...

Hope I helped!

I know right? My local friends had a hard time keeping the local Cardinals alive, even in quite suitable conditions. I dunno if it's just the stock, or the species, or both, but I try to stay away from those little buggers.

I should add that the cardinals did do fine (not accounting for the ones that flew the coup) in those water conditions.

In liking my Flame Tetras. They are supposed to be hearty and good with high pH. Mine runs 8.0-8.2'ish

Back
Top Bottom