Harlequin Rasboras - will I be overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 15 gallon tank that had 6 harlequin rasboras in it. The tank was totally cycled and the water conditions were always good, but 5 of the fish died. I think it was a ph swing. I did just change the gravel out the day before. I was trying to cure a snail problem and there were tons in the gravel which is why I hadn't been succeeding, so I took out all the gravel and put some new stuff in.

There was one little guy left though, so I moved him to a 55 gallon tank. I redid the 15 gallon and had to recycle, and as I was finished, a friend asked if I would keep a sick betta fish in it, so that tank is currently a hospital tank now which means I can't put the harlequin back in it. Over the past few weeks the harlequin really has been looking happier with more space anyway and has been shoaling with my bloodfin tetras, so I'm wondering if I should keep him in there, but know that he should have some friends. I don't have any other tanks that he'd do well in right now, and I'm worried about overstocking this 55 gallon.

Currently this 55 holds 3 angelfish, 10 bloodfin tetras, and 6 glass catfish, so it's already fully stocked. The tank's in good shape though, lots of plants and hides, and good filtration - sponge filter, fluidized filter, and canister filter runs a total of about 600gph. So add more rasboras - about 5? Or no? What do you guys think?

You could easily do 10 harlequin rasboras without being overstocked, plus still have room for some cories on the bottom too.

Really?! Wow! I guess aqadvisor underestimates tank capacity. Good to know! Thanks!

With filter turnover like that, I'd say you are way understocked. As long as your fish are healthy, happy, and generally getting along, you should be able to keep a lot more fish in your tank. I know if I had a 55 gal, I'd want more than 19 small fish in there! Just be sure to keep an eye on your water parameters, and you'll be in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom