Has anyine ever heard if german tetra rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought on today from my lfs. The guy said they are a lot hardier than german blue rams.

ForumRunner_20120319_164306.jpg

ForumRunner_20120319_164328.jpg

ForumRunner_20120319_164347.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of them. What did they do? Pair up a GBR and a diamond tetra? LOL

I doubt that it is even possible to breed the two. I've been wrong though, just ask the wifey. ;)

That looks like a german blue ram to me, possibly a german blue crossed with a german gold.

Pet stores like to make up their own names for different fish sometimes, it's pretty funny.

It also looks like a boy.

Yeah that's what I was going to say jeta... almost a gbrXgold cross or something. More of a rounded body shape than the pure gbr's I've seen. Colors look a little....ermm, artificial let's say.

It could just be paled out from stress but the light body towards the back kinda makes me think of gold rams.

I do know of multiple breeders who have been crossing/crossing out german blue and german gold, as well as german gold and electric blue to strengthen the lines.

There's even a red ram floating around now because of selective breeding of golds.

Looks like it could be crossed with a balloon somewhat and a gold.
Doesn't look like any of my pure gbr's. It's definitely different but i dont believe its crossed with any tetra. Lol

Well, no, because you can't cross a tetra and a ram. I can't believe that's what they are calling it. And ripping people off charging $20 for them. I'd be curious to hear thier explanation of what makes it hardier than a GBR. Since it's clearly a Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

My Bolivian ram is not looking so good after I got the new ram. He stays in one spot at the bottom with his fins clamped. My water is good 0,0,20-40 ph is 7. He is not being picked on if anything he was chasing the new ram.

why do you think he doesn't look good? i have 2 gbr's and they stay at the bottom of the tank most of the time. in the evening they stay very quiet and almost lay on the gravel. i've had them for 2 years and they have always acted like that. that's the only thing i can tell by the pictures. unless you have other symtoms?

i have 2 german rams and i think what you have is a german blue ram not a german tetra ram. what ever that is. check this out.
German Blue Ram

Impulse09 said:
That's what they called it at my lfs.

Well I'd go back, ask for the owner or manager and ask them why they sold you a Ram with Tetra in the name ???

Your other Ram may not be thrilled to share the tank. Make sure he's still eating.

My Bolivian ram is not looking so good after I got the new ram. He stays in one spot at the bottom with his fins clamped. My water is good 0,0,20-40 ph is 7. He is not being picked on if anything he was chasing the new ram.
I'd try to get the nitrates down. 40ppm is too high for rams. I typically keep mine under 10ppm.

I know its hard for me too, my tap had some nitrates, and I have a lot of fish, probably overstocked.

You might want to try adding some more fast growing stem plants such as anacharis to help get your trates down.

Is your bolivian still looking clamped?

That looks like a german blue ram to me, possibly a german blue crossed with a german gold.

Pet stores like to make up their own names for different fish sometimes, it's pretty funny.

It also looks like a boy.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you cross a Male GBR with a Female EBR and vise versa?

I *think* it works similar to the electric blue in the EBJD with the EB gene being recessive, where if you breed an EB with a regular specimen your offspring will look like regular specimens but be blue gene carriers. So you'd need to breed an EB with a regular specimen, then breed one of it's offspring with an EB to have a certain percentage of electric blue offspring.

That's total speculation though as I've never crossed out rams since the EB's and golds have good survival rates on their own.

Back
Top Bottom