Has anyone bought fish online before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone! My question is has anyone ever bought fish online before? How was your experience? Despite both of my (somewhat) local lfs assurances they could order what i am looking, they have had no luck and they said it may take months (or longer if at all). So, i found a breeder online with a promising female and she will be shipped after the holiday weekend. He assured me that if she arrives injured or dead, he will reimburse me. The thought of a fish spending a day or two in a box is alarming to me....so, i am looking for input on anyones experiences with online fish purchases!! Thanks!

I've bought a lot online too. No worries if they pack it correctly. If you are in a cold state now, tell them to add a heat pack. Or if it is in the summer a cold pack.

I'm at the point where I'd rather order online than buy in store. I've had two shipments sent to me so far, healthiest fish I've ever seen.

Thanks for the input! I did tell the breeder to put heat packs in the box-she is coming from Hawaii to PA so i know theres a bit of a difference in temps!

People here, aquabid, and liveaquaria.com are good places to check. I've had a couple shipments from liveaquaria, and their service is just excellent. Plus my LFS has a 2 day guarantee and la has a 14 day lol.

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
People here, aquabid, and liveaquaria.com are good places to check. I've had a couple shipments from liveaquaria, and their service is just excellent. Plus my LFS has a 2 day guarantee and la has a 14 day lol.

--Adeeb

Ya, but the shipping is so killer. Makes sense though, shipping live animals should be expensive

I usually wait until I have a couple of fish to buy. It works out cheaper for me than buying locally :p

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
I usually wait until I have a couple of fish to buy. It works out cheaper for me than buying locally :p

--Adeeb

True, but then you have to add all of them at the same time?

Ya, but the shipping is so killer. Makes sense though, shipping live animals should be expensive

Not really. But it just depends on the method used. Most hobbyists give the choice between priority and express. I ship most things priority which is usually 2 days and it has a great success rate. The cost is much lower via priority also, ranging from 6 or 7 dollars to 14-15 depending on distance and weight (if its not shipped flat rate).

I'd highly recommend Severum Mama and HN1 on this site. I've purchased fish twice from them and live plants and have been very happy. Also they quarantine their fish before selling so you know what you're getting is healthy. :D

I would recommend them too! I have never ordered from them, but in all of the months I have been in this website, I have not heard one negative thing about them! They are all positive!

jetajockey said:
Not really. But it just depends on the method used. Most hobbyists give the choice between priority and express. I ship most things priority which is usually 2 days and it has a great success rate. The cost is much lower via priority also, ranging from 6 or 7 dollars to 14-15 depending on distance and weight (if its not shipped flat rate).

Really? Last time i wanted to order se fish online, i looked it up and it was 30$. I dont know if it was express or not, but still

Really? Last time i wanted to order se fish online, i looked it up and it was 30$. I dont know if it was express or not, but still
Thats what i just paid. Its for Fed Ex (overnight). I dont mind though because ive been driving an hr (or 2) to various lfs & with tolls & gas in a big pickup, its actually cheaper!

i used livefishdirect.com, located in utah. only downside was the $40 overnight shipping charge BUT the fish i got were AMAZING!! gorgeous specimens & they arrived healthier than i am LOL

if you can afford the shipping, online is the way to go. & with livefishdirect you can request male or female, colorful, etc etc & they hook you up

good luck

Back
Top Bottom