Has anyone ever had an antisocial guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CirrusMoth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have to admit, this particular question was my big reason for joining this forum. I'm truly stumped.

I have a small desktop tank on my desk at work (5 gal). It's nothing all that fancy, but I've had it for a year now and I find it very soothing to have it there. Inside I have 5 male fancy guppies, a gold mystery snail, and a male crowntail beta.

This has been the norm for all of that time. Frequent water changes and good food and everyone has seen happy.

Now, I recently lost a couple of guppies to an unknown cause. I suspect that one of my "helpful" coworkers tried to wash the glass with something toxic, because I'd also had 2 snails and now there's only one. Of course, no one has fessed up. >_<

Anyways, when I went to the store to pick up some more filters, I grabbed a couple of replacement guppies. All seem fine for a couple of days until one of them jumped over the divider where the filter and pump sits. I've fished (ha) the little bastard out several times now, but he somehow keeps getting back there. He seems happy enough. I make sure he gets some food, but I have never had just one guppy decide he didn't want to be with the school.

When they're all together there isn't any fighting. Even the beta is pretty chill. I know it's unusual to have a beta with any other fish, but I've never had a problem with it unless there were other, more aggressive fish (like the angelfish my mother put into our 35 gal when I was a teen).

So does anyone have any idea why this one fish is acting so weird? I don't want to have to keep sticking my hand down there to grab him---that particular chamber is too small for a net. Should I use a bit of filter sponge to block the top of that section? I don't want the little idiot to strand himself on top of it. Should I see if the shop will take him back because he's obviously mentally ill? It's too late for a refund, but I really don't care if it's what's best for him.

Attachments

• Stupid Guppy.jpg
    Stupid Guppy.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 108
I'd probably put the sponge to block it like you said. Just watch the fish while you're at work. If he keeps trying to jump out it might be best to take him back and get another one. Guppies are really weird fish. I've seen some be fine, and some be really aggressive. My bf had some guppies in with a platy and one guppy decided he didn't like the platy and beat it up. Then all of the other guppies started following... Guppies are weird man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would just keep him and block of that section. It's cool that your beta gets along with other fish, most people don't get that kind of luck. You might also want to check your water parameters to see if everything is okay. Do you have a liquid test kit? Bad parameters can lead to stress, which may be the reason why he is jumping. Or maybe he's just special in his own way :D

Hmmm I've had good luck with Betta fish i guess! Ive kept Betta with:

-Angel
-Platy
-GBR
-Silvertip Tetra
-Dwarf Gourami
-Turquoise Rainbow

Those were with different Betta fish... Not all at once... And the Betta seemed ok in the parameters that weren't great for them. Ive also kept groups of females and they worked with many of the same fish!

The key is to put them in a bag and once a day for like an hour put the bag in the tank so they can see and get used to the other fish in there, and after a week if this you can put them in and they will be fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I just add my bettas they same way I've added other fish and they've all been fine except one.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back on topic ;)

I agree with keeping the guppy and just using the sponge!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Thanks for the advice.

All of the water parameters including temperature are within normal levels. Our water is hard, but that's really more of a blessing than a problem since I like to keep snails.

I guess I have been lucky with betas. I find there is more trouble if the beta was in the tank first---maybe they are more territorial that way. In that case, there are usually a couple of days when it's cranky about other fish being near it. When the betta is added to an established tank, I haven't had this issue.

In general, the only thing a new beta will really bother is a snail's antenna if it's never seen one before. They give up within a day or so once they figure out the snail can hide. I've never had a problem with eyes or breathing tubes being bitten off by fish (thankfully).

I did once have a near total tank wipe when all that was left was the beta and one guppy. In that case, I felt bad for the poor beta. The guppy kept trying to school with it and the beta finally resorted to hiding in the rock cave to be alone. When I bought new guppies and left the bag floating the acclimate, the lone guppy immediately swam up to the side and stayed there with it's new school. If fish had expressions, I'd say my beta was relieved. :p

As for my antisocial guppy, when I get a new sponge, I will use a piece of the old one to block that section and see if that works. Will keep you posted for the results. Thanks again!

As for the fish I've had betas with, I've had good results with:

--Guppies
--Mystery Snails
--Pleco
--Tetras
--Spotted catfish
--Redtailed sharks
--Black ghost knifefish
--Glass catfish
--Bala shark

Only problem has been with:
--Angelfish (specifically Domestic Silvers and Veiled Velvet)

To be fair, other than plecos, I don't think I'll have angelfish with anything else again. They're just *******s. :p

do you know if the lone guppy is a female , it could be the only one and all the males are wearing her down, how many guppy do you have , do you know how to sex them ,
if the lower dorsal is rounded it's a female the male dorsal looks like a L shape this is the easiest way to explain that , from what you told us this would be my thought add a few more females lesson her stress

That's the weird thing: they're all male---every last one of them. I usually get the males because they're prettier and still do well in schools. Also, I don't want babies. Or babies getting eaten. ;)

Back
Top Bottom