Has anyone ever owned a dwarf freshwater puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They stay very small so they can be kept in a 5 gallon tank their max size is 1 inch. But they are very aggressive and can be hard to care for. Your tank must be fully cycled before adding them and they really eat only live or fresh foods like snails, ghost shrimp, some small worms, sometimes they will eat frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp. But overall they are very picky. Also a general rule is you can have 1 for every 5 gallons of water.

Had one for years. Cutest fish ever. Just ordered one for my new 45 gallon community. As long as he is well fed (small snails) he never bothered anyone else.

I adored mine, but he was tough to care for. He was true to his puffer nature, and did not care for tankmates, except for a small school of ember tetras that he never bothered. He was a ravenous eater of snails and meaty foods, and cute as a button. Best personality ever. Unfortunately, I dont think they are very hardy though, my little guy passed away suddenly with no warning or reason. RIP little Chuck Norris!
That being said, I would not hesitate to get one again down the road. :)

They are neither easy nor friendly. I added three to my community tank several years ago and it was a huge mistake!
I tried feeding them frozen bloodworms and they would sometimes eat them but not usually. I then went to petsmart and got a bunch of the tiny snails they get overrun with (they gave them to me for free just to get rid of some). The puffers would stalk the snails until the snail finally came out enough and then they would strike at them (usually successfully) but then they stopped paying attention to the snails.
They eventually starved to death because I couldn't get them to eat anything but in the meantime they did manage to nip the daylights out of my other fish. I once saw a fish darting through the tank with a puffer clamped onto its tail.
So at the end of the day I was left with beaten up fish, no puffers and a bunch of uneaten snails overtaking my tank.

Dwarf Puffers are a little hard to care for at first but are well worth the effort. Here is a great forum on all things puffer. thepufferforum.com

All dwarf puffers are wild caught as babies and it is hard for them to adjust. Tank must be very well cycled. O ammonia, O nitrite, and low nitrates. They may tolerate tank mates as juveniles but get aggressive as they mature. You sometimes get lucky and find one willing to live with a few other fish but not often. Best kept alone. Some will tolerate ottos and ghost shrimp. Shrimp may get eaten and are a good live food source. Ghost shrimp are not that hard to breed. Puffers need to be wormed when purchased because almost all have internal parasites. Frozen bloodworms and snails are the food staples. Raw shrimp can be used sparingly. Raise snails like ramshorns for them. Easy to do. They are very smart and interactive and need a well planted tank wit decor they can explore. Tank decor can be changed around every so often to give them something interesting to do.

Back
Top Bottom