Hatchet fish jumped out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martintanks91

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some hatchet fish yesterday and put them in my QT tank, this morning 1 jumped out! I had the lid on but he jumped through so little room. Im scared that the other hatchets Will do the same

Hatchets are jumpers by nature. In the wild they live in pools and when those pools dry out they jump to the next one. I've lost so many hatchets to tiny holes I have up on keeping them lol. Make sure everything is covered

I bought some hatchet fish yesterday and put them in my QT tank, this morning 1 jumped out! I had the lid on but he jumped through so little room. Im scared that the other hatchets Will do the same

I lost my two hatchets to that :(

I love hatchets, but yeah they are tough to keep in the tank for sure. I had a nice group of about 10 with some discus once in a 55, and every single one jumped out of the tank even though I had a glass cover with the plastic insert on the back. I also kept some pygmy hatchets once in an 8 gallon JBJ nano tank (all in one type with a tight fitting lid) and I didn't have any jump out.

LOL hatchets. I once had these and on the first day I got them they both jumped out and died. That was when I got my first aquarium and I did not know those fish jumped, they just looked cool to me.

Back
Top Bottom