Hatchet fish: Why do I bother?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just have no luck with these guys. They must not like me or my water. I bought six silver hatchets the other day and one was dead within 24 hours, four dead within 48. :cry: They look healthy - it's just that they drop dead. At least they were only a buck apiece. This is my third unsuccessful attempt to keep hatchets. There shall not be a fourth, I'm afraid - I'm giving up on these fish. :evil:

Now for some happier news. The other fish that I purchased along with the hatchets are doing great three days after acclimation. I got six corydoras paleatus, six bloodfin tetras, and 9 tiger barbs in my 29 gal along with some brilliant resboras. The tiger barbs are really cute - they're only 1/2 inch and just as ferocious at feeding time as my 2 inch tigers.

These are the first fish I have purchased in over a year. My tanks have been remarkably stable in terms of livestock except for my 29 gal. This tank has gone through algae hell for the past six months- you name it, I had it and eventually killed it.

The tigers will stay in the 29 gal along with the corys. The bloodfins and any surviving hatchets will go into the 58 gal in a few weeks.

Mine kept jumping out! i even covered most of the tank and they found the one spot where the filter outtake was and springboarded.

Mine kept jumping out too, I finally have managed to keep 3 of them. The tank is covered like Fort Knox. I feel your pain, I can't keep gourami for any length of time. Sometimes it seems certain types of fish don't work for some people.

can't keep mollies or platies, but can't get rid of our guppies (unless they end up in the same tank as the firemouth...I am down to 3 from 8)

My hatchets don't jump - they just sink and roll along the tank bottom. :cry: It's really a shame because they are so unusual and would look really great with the angelfish.

I know what you mean, I have the 3 hatchetfish in with 2 angelfish. Have you tried getting them from different lfs's?

I hate to see anyone give up on species they want. Hatchets can stress easily. With fish like this it's a good idea to purchase them only when you're sure they've been at the lfs at least a week. You should also ask them to check the pH of their tank and see how far it differs from yours.

Same thing happened to me the first time I got hatchetfish. I bough 3. 1 died within a day, the other 2 within 3 days. I went back to the store & they gave me 1/2 price on 3 more. I've had those 3 for about 6 months now, no problems at all. Also, I have never seen mine jump at all. My tank is pretty well covered, but there is an opening for the filter. I've never seen them go anywhere near it.

I was mentioning this thread to my girlfriend last night, and she was surprised. We have five or six in a community tank (it's her tank, I don't pay attention other than sometimes doing her feeding or water changes) added in two groups with no losses. They're very calm and have never shown signs of stress or jumping.

Fish and aquatic plants are strange, some people have no problems with the 'hard' yet can't do the 'easy'. Others have problems with the specific, and seem cursed. The combination of wildly varied water chemistry, stocking, outside conditions (your five your old sprinting by the tank) etc. makes it incredibly hard to pin things down.

The only jumpers I've had was an oscar who died years ago in the night, and a tinfoil barb a month ago. Luckily, she (the girlfriend, not the fish) has great reflexes. She pried it away from the cat and had it back in the water before I even looked over from the computer, and it's absolutely fine.

I have Marble Hatchets and have had a roaring success with them..try that variety out. They are pretty mellow and friendly. No jumping and eager to see what I am throwing into the tank.

I haven't had much success with them either. I bought 6 a while back. One jumped the first night, 4 died from unknown causes, and I now have one survivor. Of course, this is less than ideal for the lone hatchet, but I'm kind of afraid to try again with them.

I have Marble Hatchets and have had a roaring success with them..try that variety out. They are pretty mellow and friendly. No jumping and eager to see what I am throwing into the tank.

Actually mine are Marble Hatchets too. Are the marbled ones not jumpers? Maybe you should try those guys. Like I said farther up, my 3 have been great.

Back
Top Bottom