hatchetfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I want some hatchetfish. And I know they jump and I need a good lid. I was just wondering if you thought my lid was good enough? The only opening is where the filter is and its not that big.

See:

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110722_125832.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110722_125832.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20110722_130021.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110722_130021.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 76
Dang....how much force can they jump with? Could I just cut something to fit over the opening and leave only enough room for the stream of water from the filter?

Yes you can do that. Last time mine jumped about six inches into the air...and fell on the ground. It took a while to try to get him use to being back in the tank. Once they jump they'll jump again, that's how mine all ended up on the floor.

I have 3 of them and none of them jumped, yet, and there is about an inch and a half opening in the back but not all the way only like 5".

I bought some a long time ago and they both died... One ended up stuck to the back of one of the filters and the other was never found though i checked everywhere including the ground.

Well hey, maybe he's alive and hiding!... Its been a few years since I've seen him haha!

You can tape up the opening or cover it with saran wrap. I've never seen mine jump, but you never know...

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
You can tape up the opening or cover it with saran wrap. I've never seen mine jump, but you never know...

--Adeeb

Ahhh plastic wrap. That's a good idea. Much easier than finding some sort of hard plastic material to cut.

Back
Top Bottom