Have a plumbing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toronto scarz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm finally done all set up for my 240 gal upstairs. My sump is in basement. I'm using 3pc 55 gallon barrels. emergency overflow for for last barrel runs straight into drain. I don't believe It will ever get that high. My question is. Do I need a check valve for my return line? I have a ball valve and a union after pump. If power ever goes out... Is it bad for pump to flow opposite way? I'm not worried about overflow. I'm worried that the check valve will slow the water flow down. Is the check valve only in case of over flow or does it save the pump???

While I haven't done a setup such as yours I do know that an impeller driven pump can turn backwards indefinitely without harm.

Swing check valves (the simplest type) take extremely little pressure to open (I use them on gravity driven domestic hot water circulation loops) with very little restriction to flow (particularly if you use one that is a size larger than the tube). Their problem is that they are prone to leaking due to even minor scale--I suspect the "stuff" that accumulates in remote filter hoses would render it essentially useless and potentially restrictive in a very short time. IMO forget about the check valve.

Thanks very much. I made my first mistake on shutting pump off without closing valve on my first trial day. Didnt have my third emergency barrel set up yet. Flooded basement. Lol. Amateur mistake. Wish I had the check valve. Lol. I got it down pat now. My problem is that the pump is way to powerfull. Wish I went size smaller. Return ball valve is only a quarter open and still to strong. Back pressure to sump going like crazy. Moving Mechanical filter all over. I have to set up more aquariums to split the line now.

Thanks very much. I made my first mistake on shutting pump off without closing valve on my first trial day. Didnt have my third emergency barrel set up yet. Flooded basement. Lol. Amateur mistake. Wish I had the check valve. Lol. I got it down pat now. My problem is that the pump is way to powerfull. Wish I went size smaller. Return ball valve is only a quarter open and still to strong. Back pressure to sump going like crazy. Moving Mechanical filter all over. I have to set up more aquariums to split the line now.

What pump did you use? You should have one that moves about 13 gpm at 10' head (elevation). The short lines and large tubing sizes reduce restriction above the simple lift to almost nothing.

Let me know the exact circulator you used, the difference in level between the the sump return connection and the top of the weir and the tube size you used. I'll let you know if the circulator is so oversized that you have no choice but to replace. Sump system circulators must be of the high volume, low head design and using restriction to "slow" an oversized circulator of such design will cause it to die an early death while consuming too much juice. Why? Significant restriction that reduces flow turns the system into high head, high flow which is the worst possible state.

Back
Top Bottom