have tank have fish can feed fish no idea how to feed eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montwo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi I hve a 20 gal tank in about four or five months I will gain 180 gallons on that but till then. I have a tiger oscar, a pleco of unknown kind (hope it gets big) and a tire track eel, I can feed the oscar and the pleco but the eel I would like to hand feed but what and how often, it will eat small feeder fish right now kinda funny thing though my oscar bites the heads off then kind moves them over to the eels area of the tank but is there also a kind of food that I can buy to feed my eel that isn't live or frozen that maybe sinks like the alge discs for my pleco

These types of eels really go for worms. You should begin hand feeding it using some live CBW pinched between your fingers. I think you'll find that in no time at all, when he sees you he'll be begging to be fed. :wink:

A word of caution - I've a friend with a 2 and half foot fire eel in a 240g tank. The eel will not eat unless my friend hand feeds it. The fish has become so conditioned to this that he keeps schools of tiny tetras in the tank and the eel doesn't bother them at all. It's really the coolest thing.

thanks one question whats cbw worms

thanx I dont want to hand feed all the time I would like that as more of a treat to get him out of hideing to show people I realy would like to find some kind of sinking food for him

P.S. what are cbw

CBW - California Black Worms. Way cleaner and safer than tubifex

Back
Top Bottom