haven't seen my fire eel eat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aromero2010

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a fire eel for about a month I still haven't seen it eat and hardly comes out the pic pipe any more? What could be problem?

Aromero2010 said:
I've had a fire eel for about a month I still haven't seen it eat and hardly comes out the pic pipe any more? What could be problem?

Have you moved the pipe to make sure he is still living?

It could be a lot of things wrong, water parameters, wrong tank mates, can't get to food quick enough. Try putting food directly in the pipe for him,

What size tank is he in?

what are your water parameters?

What are his tank mates?

What are you feeding him?

What are you feeding?? Mine only eats live ghost shrimp. If your feeding something like blood worms he probably wont eat them and you must change his diet soon.

I have had my peacock eel for about 2 months and only have seen him eat 3 times. I know he is eating though cause he has grown from 4.5" to 7" in the time that I've had him

Yea I've seen him eat a ghost shrimp how do I change his diet?

vanimal said:
What are you feeding?? Mine only eats live ghost shrimp. If your feeding something like blood worms he probably wont eat them and you must change his diet soon.

Mine loves bloodworm both frozen and live.
He is partial to an earth worm or 2. ;-)

Most love earth worms but some don't. Some wont eat frozen foods but all eels will take ghost shrimp. I suggest you feed those, mine lives off of them.

vanimal said:
Most love earth worms but some don't. Some wont eat frozen foods but all eels will take ghost shrimp. I suggest you feed those, mine lives off of them.

I have put ghost shrimp in before but my ghost knife fish gets them, the fire eel don't seem to like em. But he loves the bloodworm and earth worm.

Why do you suggest I feed them? My fire eel is feeding well on a variety of foods and is healthy.

He's growing well on them. He also likes tetra prima sinking pellet.

Guinness said:
I have put ghost shrimp in before but my ghost knife fish gets them, the fire eel don't seem to like em. But he loves the bloodworm and earth worm.

Why do you suggest I feed them? My fire eel is feeding well on a variety of foods and is healthy.

He's growing well on them. He also likes tetra prima sinking pellet.

I was talking to the person who started this thread. But your so lucky!! I have a really picky one! I tried blood worms he sucked them and spit them back out he wont even est the worm. He swims up to it and nudges it with his nose and decides he doesn't like them. I tried shrimp pellets but he wont eat those either. Only ghost shrimp. I also tired frozen shrimp and he didn't like that either.

That's actually the only thing I've ever seen him eat I always feed them bloodworms and it don't seem to pay much attention to them

Aromero2010 said:
That's actually the only thing I've ever seen him eat I always feed them bloodworms and it don't seem to pay much attention to them

Well then just keep feeding him those...

Feed bloodworms after lights off, let them sit on the sand. You won't ever see him eat because he's new to the tank, but he is.

Chiroptera said:
Feed bloodworms after lights off, let them sit on the sand. You won't ever see him eat because he's new to the tank, but he is.

Not all Eels will take Blood Worms.

Back
Top Bottom